Part 7 : Warmth

Returning to life was a harder transition for Sirius, and he soon took up drinking again. Not in his house, instead, he spent his nights in a dark avenue in muggle London, about fifty meters from home, with his bottles.  Such was the case that night, when the hour neared two past midnight, he staggered back from his hiding place. He opened the door slowly, then threw all of his weight on the door stop and shouted. "Kreacher!"
It wasn't Kreacher who appeared, but Hermione.

"Sirius!" she hissed, "Stop shouting, you'll wake the entire house."
He mumbled, his slurring words incoherent.  "This must stop, today." she scolded, and offered her hands to help him up. "Then help me. I- I'm destroyed, numb, I don't belong here, but I don't want to go back to the veil." He looked up at her, tears gathering in his eyes. "It's lonely. So lonely. And time is... still. I feel like the old version of me, but- not. I can't be. I don't don't know what's happening to me."

"No, you're not. But you're also not alone, we're in this together. So get up."  With her help, he rose, and asked, "Why are you doing this?"

"Because you fool, you need to teach us how to fight... How drunk are you right now?"

"You always were an angry little witch." he grumbled, "Quite, quite properly drunk."

"Fantastic, then you won't remember this." she took a deep breath and blurted, "I love you."

"Yes, fantastic, yes- ouch, that's my foot!"
"Sorry." She moved and half led, half carried him to his chamber, then left quietly to hers

...................................................................................................................................................
The weekend came to an end, and the students returned to Hogwarts, casting an empty quiet over the house. Unwilling to remain cooped up, Lily took the Invisibility cloak and returned to Hogwarts to see her old and dear friend. She walked through the familiar dungeons, inhaled the smells of the potion fumes, listened to the sounds of running children and sighed. It was like coming home. She stopped before the Potion Master's door, lifting a hand to knock, but it opened before her knuckles reached the wood. "Come in." droned the weary, baritone voice.  "Hello Severus." she said as she closed the door behind her and removed the cloak. "Lily!" He stood, and a few quick strides later, embraced her.  "Lily, you shouldn't be here. It's not safe."

"I'm here for you Sev, I wanted to thank you, to know how you were doing with your life."  He smiled at her, a smile that hasn't been seen by anyone in years. He lowered his head in embarrassment as she said, "I see darkness in your soul, Severus. Why?"
"Well, you can say I am a lost soul, not dark. The years went by and I've barely survived them. I regret everything, I wished I had listened to you before. I know I should not tell you this you have a family now, but I couldn't move on."
After he confessed himself as a triple agent, Lily gave him a necklace that contained a spell. As a return to his favor, the spell was a protecting one, it allowed to rebound one killing curse.
"Is that what you gave Harry that night in Godric Hollow?"
"Yes. It's an old Greek charm."
"Yes...y-yes," he nodded with shy face.
An awkward silence fell between them.They had their tea near the window, staring at the green fields below, talking about their pasts.
" The school is the same , nothing changed at all " Lily said
" except the staff , and a punch of dunderheads , and there is something that still the same "

" what? "
He smiled , and showed from under his desk a small piece of cake , Lily eyes went wide, and covered her mouth in disbelief, " oh my lord! They still make these ! "
The orange almond breakfast cakes , her and Severus favorite breakfast option.

" yes , the same elves too " , he lowered his gaze , " I still eat them for breakfast, It bring back the old days , Lily "
She smiled , and her happiness tears sprinkled her eyes , " there have a bite , and I will steal some everyday from breakfast feast for you too "

She accepted the small piece shyly , " No need to steal them Sev , You grow up as a cake thief now "
He chuckled, then rised his eyebrows in questioning stares , joking with her
, " who stole the pumpkin pastry from the kitchens  late at night in 1975 ?"

She placed her hands on her hips ,
"Excuse me , It was the finals and I was hungry " she said in a girlish coquette sound
" hey!" The memory Poped up in her head ," remember when You visited my house and frightened Petunia with your magic ! "
" yes yes! " he laughed loud , " she ran inside calling us freaks, and the she owled Albus to get herself an acceptance letter ! "
" No! How did you find out !? I didn't know this although I am her sister ! "
" Albus told me , " he took a sip of his tea , " I was 21 , that time ..
He was arguing with Minerva about giving Harry to The Dursley's when he was a toddler , and Minerva was not liking them a bit , If I may say , she watched them ,and he told her back about the letter , mentioning she didn't hate you , but jealousy plays with her brains too much "

Lily nodded , and went lost in her thoughts a few seconds ,
"How old are you now, Sev?"

,"I'm still 21, Lily." He joked

"No, you git! Come on, tell me the truth!"
He cleared his throat and said with confidence "I am 37."
She covered her mouth and gasped with surprise, he really had a soft side towards her so he worried about her reaction.
"You really look younger.I can't believe it."

He couldn't deny, he thrilled for this.
They spent time laughing and talking as they waited for Dumbeldore to come. Snape found an excuse for Lily so she can stay longer with him. He didn't want or mean anything, but he wanted to see her more after 15 years of death.

"Oh gods, look at the time!" Lily glanced at her watch, realizing they had spent 3 hours talking.
"Unfortunately, good times run fast." Snape said, taking hold of her hands. "Be safe please. Do you want me to help you Apparate?"
"No need , it's okay I'll Floo."

Lily Flooed to The Black House, Grimmauld Place.