Chapter 1: Owls from Hogwarts

(Amara's POV)

It was a Sunday morning and I heard the ever so irritating sound of my alarm clock. As I encouraged myself to wake up I heard the sound of owls outside my bedroom window. I jabbed at a book on the bookshelf beside my day bed and reread chapter 14. This book is extremely important to me because it was given to my father by my mother, Athena, the goddess of wisdom and warfare. I heard a noise that made me look up and put my book down. I yanked open my curtains, prepared to see my irritating stepsister playing with her 9-year-old friends Lizzie and Jada, but instead, to my surprise, half a dozen owls were planted at my window sill. I immediately opened my window and the owls filled the room. Great, I thought, You did it again Amara. Leaping before you look. I had tried to remember to look first, but I always thought that I would know the answer to whatever was ahead, you know, being the daughter of Athena and all. One of the owls let loose a letter that fluttered to the floor. I scooped it up and ripped it open. It read,

Dear Ms. Lee,

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,

Hermione Granger
Deputy Headmistress

I was well aware of what Hogwarts was, I had read the Harry Potter books at the age of 6. Some people could say that they would freak out if this happened to them, not me. I already knew mythology was real, so adding wizards on top of that wasn't a big change.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I knew it must have been my father, seeing as my stepmother was on a "vacation" with my aunt and my uncle-in-law. Last week, my father was gone all week for his "vacation" and I did not miss him and his strict rules, though my stepmother was the same way. I quickly shooed the owls out of my room and went back to reading. To my surprise, the footsteps faded. I decided that it would be a good idea to let Chiron know about the letter. I needed to journey to Camp Half-Blood. I already knew my father wouldn't allow it, he hates the idea of me yielding a weapon and learning how to fight, but I had to go. Camp Half-Blood was on Long Island, New York, which was quite far from Puerto Rico. I looked up from my book to look around for materials to use when I spotted a familiar face.

When I say spotted, I meant this friend had just shadow traveled in my face.

"Sup!" Ricky, son of Hades said.

"Ummmm hey, Ricky. You mind being a little quieter? If my father catches you here then we're both dead." I asked, then, an idea came to me, "Can you do your little shadow thing and help a friend get to camp?"
"Uhhh sure, but. . ." Ricky trailed off, "nevermind."
------Time Skip------

I appeared out of the shadows, a bit dizzy, and stepped into the barriers of Camp Half-Blood. I scanned the camp. It looked the same as last year. I turned around to inform Ricky that I was going to talk to Chiron, but when I turned around, Ricky was nowhere to be seen. Where was Ricky? Had it taken him longer to get here? It took me 10 minutes to get here, so maybe he had gotten here sooner. I saw Chiron beckoning me over, so I went to see him.

Chiron said briskly, "Go find Ricky Xu and bring him over here." I was about to question him, but Chiron raised his hand, so I just walked away to find Ricky.

I saw Ricky talking to Percy Jackson. I ran forward to tell him to come with me to the Pavilion, but he was already walking away. I chased him to the rock climbing wall. He climbed up, climbed down, and continued walking. I sighed. Finally, I bumped into him.