55- Scorched Bones

Start from the beginning

"Just what?" Leven huffed, but his grumpiness was on par as usual.

Alana bit the inside of her cheek debating whether or not it was her place to ask about their deceased friend.

It should not be a problem, right? But maybe they would prefer not to talk about it with someone like me. Possibly, that is why they are brushing it off as if it's nothing, so they will not relive any bad memories. I mean, surely, they would not visit the grave with the deceased's favorite things if they did not care about them.

"You want to know who that was, don't you little dove?" Ivo inquired with a knowing smirk coming to pace himself with Leopoldo and her.

Alana hesitantly nodded still unsure herself.

"Oh, dear." Leopoldo faked a sigh. "I simply cannot have such a conversation on an empty stomach."

"I agree," Kazumi broke in. "This is not a casual stroll chat; Captain Goa deserves more than to be talked of in passing."

Captain?

"Oh, we are actually going to a bakery?" Ivo asked surprised. "Not a filthy tavern with decorative skulls and the stench of blood and sweat soaking into the hardwood? How lovely."

"Fine," Leven grumbled. "I am in the mood for something with caramel."

Alana sat stiffly at a small round table with a pink plaid tablecloth and vase with a white rose bouquet adorning the surface. She, herself, did not feel wildly out of place but the men who crowded the table with her, garnering double-takes from the other patrons were.

The bakery Leopoldo led the group towards was a cutesy establishment vastly different than anywhere Alana had ever been with the group. The paintings on the walls were that of puppies and bunnies, and the mostly pink and lavender color palette made for an interesting contrast with the rough pirates.

She waited patiently for anyone to begin the conversation of Goa Jager, not even bothering to pick at the slice of strawberry cake or sip the white tea.

Looking around with a very unimpressed gaze Leven finally met eyes with his brother, he broke a corner off his salted caramel bar before plopping it into his mouth.

"How the hell do you know about this place?" Leven narrowed his eyes on Leopoldo.

Leopoldo, smiling and feeling right at home, perked up.

"I merely found it on a stroll when we were visiting once many years ago, it's nice isn't it?"

Leven cringed.

"Yeah, 'stroll' my ass, one of your little girlfriends dragged you here, right?"

Alana looked to Leopoldo who looked to her with worry hoping she would not hear the obvious.

Leopoldo could not deny the accusation as Kazumi cut off the ensuing argument.

"Goa Jager was the former captain of the Scorched Bones." He stated bluntly.

Alana sat up realizing the awaited conversation was finally beginning.

"When I was a young child... I was a slave. I was not always a slave, but after the Taycia expansion twenty years ago, my family was either killed or ran out of the land. My father, who was certainly no match for thirteen Taycia soldiers, died fighting in an effort to hide me. He knew young children would be taken as slaves to noble households."

Kazumi had continued but Alana had trouble focusing after the mention of slavery.

Her heart sank into her stomach like a boulder, her throat felt tight and her eyes stung with the threat of tears spilling over.