2 years later

Naruto's mind was hazy with thoughts as he made his way back to Konoha. His two and a half year training with Jiraiya was finished, and now he's able to face his friends again with better strength. 

He thought about Sasuke and his emotions the entire time he was gone. 

At first, he thought he mixed them up with platonic feelings and tried to convince himself he did, but after weeks of telling himself  'Sasuke is just a friend.'

Sasuke was not just a friend to him. He was someone more to Naruto. His heart clenched whenever he pictured Sasuke's face in his mind, and his voice was like music to Naruto's ears when Sasuke said 'Naruto' by curling the 'ruto' off his tongue. 

Then his eyes-Sasuke's eyes when he's either fired up, feeling neutral, happy but rather not show it, and sleepy. His eyes were beautiful to Naruto. His Sharingan was just an addition to his features-it made him unique, different, and a handsome man that is determined to fight with his all. 

Naruto missed Sasuke a lot. 2 and a half years felt like a roller-coaster to Naruto. His mind, his heart-everything was tempting him into finding Sasuke alone to talk to him alone. To see him again. To embrace him in his loving arms and promise to never let go. 

He just wanted Sasuke back in general-to love him back and to promise to never leave again. To not leave him again.

Naruto and Jiraiya emerge out of the forest and enter through Konoha's border gate. 

The two ninja stationed at the border recognise the two instantly. 

After entering the village, Naruto climbs up a pole and, standing on top of a tower, announces that Konoha hasn't changed for a bit and proudly declares that he has returned to Konoha. 

Sakura, Konohamaru, Udon, and Moegi found Naruto on top of the pole and spoke to him for first time since two and a half years.

Jiraiya, Sakura and Naruto then head to Tsunade's office to report the former two's arrival. 

Tsunade is glad that they have returned, and asks Naruto to show her what he has learned. She tells him that she has found an opponent for him and Sakura to fight, and that she purposely withheld him from missions the past few days so that he could be at his best. Naruto wonders who the opponent could be just as the door opens, causing Naruto to gasp.

It was no one other than Shikamaru and Temari. Sakura  proudly tells Shikamaru to guess who has returned, and it takes Shikamaru a few seconds to realise that it is Naruto, while Temari contemplates whether the Naruto standing in front of her is the same Naruto she once knew.

Naruto asks whether Shikamaru is his opponent, and Shikamaru tells him that he has no clue what Naruto is talking about, as he is here only to drop off some paperwork. Tsunade tells Naruto that his opponent is right outside. 

Tsunade tells Naruto that his opponent is right outside. Naruto then opens the window and sees his old sensei,Kakashi , sitting there reading Make-out tactics. Naruto decides to bestow a present to Kakashi, and gives Kakashi the latest volume of Make-out tactics that Jiraiya  wrote, which has not even been released yet. 

Kakashi is overwhelmed, but Tsunade tells him to get a grip. Naruto then asks Kakashi if he is his opponent, and Kakashi says that he is both his and Sakura's opponent; Tsunade not only wished to test Naruto's training that Jiraiya put him under, but also the training she gave to Sakura. However, as Kakashi wants to start reading the book Naruto gave him, he tells Naruto that they cannot begin the exercise now since Naruto must be tired from his journey.

As Naruto scolds Kakashi angrily for leaving them just to read the book, Sakura decides that they should take the time to discuss an plentiful strategy to use against Kakashi. The pair are tailed by Shikamaru and Temari, prompting Naruto to bluntly ask them if they are a couple.

Shikamaru and Temari protest and say they're just representatives for the Chunin Exams. 

"I wonder what Sasuke and I would look like as a couple." Naruto thought. 

"Are you participating in the exams?" Shikamaru asked Naruto. "You know since you're the only one who's still a genin from our year." 

"Even Sakura." Naruto asks while turning his gaze to his pink haired teammate. 

"Yes even me." Sakura snaps back with a hint of annoyance in her tone. 

Naruto was shocked and Shikamaru added on that some of the others even made it as Jonin, including Neji. 

Naruto was amazed by everyone's change in ranks since he left, but quickly interrupted himself to ask;

"What happened to Gaara?" 

Temari smiled. "He's the Kazekage now." 

Naruto's jaw dropped. His friend made it as Kage before him, but he proudly announcing he will not be outdone by Gaara and that his dream is still to be Hokage. 

Naruto and Sakura are at the training grounds when Kakashi appears. Naruto and Sakura recall the training grounds as the location of their very first training test, and immediately reminisce on their memories of Team 7 , back when Sasuke was on the team. 

The mere thought and mention of Sasuke bums the two out.

"Sasuke..." Naruto felt his heart tighten from the sound of his name. He still couldn't believe he left Konoha. But there was nothing he could do except work hard to get him back. 

They are snapped out of it by the chime of bells. 

Kakashi tells them that they would be doing the same test they did the first time they became ninja, to take the bells from Kakashi. 

Naruto and Sakura got into position to start the test, the only thought was to take the bells from Kakashi to prove their increase of strength over the years.