7. 𝘚𝘪𝘳𝘦𝘯 𝘚𝘰𝘯𝘨 (𝘢𝘬𝘢 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘌𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘈𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘋𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘯𝘦𝘥)

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕: 𝐒𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠 (𝐚𝐤𝐚 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐀𝐥𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐃𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐧𝐞𝐝)

SEA OF MONSTERS DAY 1

AS IT TURNED OUT, THE SHIP OBEYED PERCY'S EVERY COMMAND. He had impeccable knowledge of which ropes to hoist, which sails to raise, which direction to steer. It seemed he'd finally discovered something he was good at. He and the girls plowed through the waves at what he supposed was about ten knots. He was kind of thrilled to realize that he even understood how fast that was. For a sailing ship, pretty damn fast.

It all felt perfect—the wind blowing in his face, the waves breaking over the prow. The flip side to that was that he couldn't get Tyson and Grover out of his mind. And he especially couldn't stop thinking about how badly he'd screwed everything up on Circe's island. Had the girls not been there, he'd never have escaped from that cage. He even recalled what Circe had told him: See, Percy? You've unlocked your true self!

The sudden cravings for lettuce weren't the only change he felt now. He felt jumpy now, as if
instinct to be a scared little animal was now a part of him. Or worse, it'd simply always been there.

Olivia seemed to know what he was thinking. After she and Annabeth removed their makeup and changed into outfits she somehow had in her small bag, she slid next to him while still rummaging through the bag. "You know, I feel like you've learned to stop trusting creepy people in the middle of nowhere, huh?" she commented.

Percy sighed. "Yeah, I did."

Olivia giggled, then gave him a random ass poem:

"There's promise in trust,
You can't always give others.
Only family."

"What?" Percy asked, tilting his head in utter confusion.

"My dad's the god of poetry," Olivia said. "He says I need to work on my haikus, but if you ever hear one of his, you'll question how he got the job."

She laughed, sitting her bag down. "My point is, Percy, you can't just trust anyone out of habit. You're a very loyal person when you care about someone. I like that about you. But you have to understand that not everyone is going to repay that loyalty. Family is something that's sacred, precious. Family is something you can always trust."

"Luke was family," Annabeth said softly, sitting next to Olivia.

Olivia shook her head, her cheerful demeanor gone in an instant. "Was family," she said. "Not anymore. Now, he's just..."