13. 𝘖𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘢'𝘴 𝘊𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘥𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘎𝘰𝘦𝘴 𝘋𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘋𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑: 𝐎𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚'𝐬 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐆𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐃𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧

July 4, 2018

ON THE FOURTH OF JULY, OLIVIA DRAGGED PERCY TO THE BEACH. The entire camp was gathered for a fireworks display by cabin nine. Percy found out that Hephaestus' kids were absolutely not going to settle for a few lame red-white-and-blue explosions. They'd anchored a barge offshore and loaded it with rockets the size of Patriot missiles. Olivia and Annabeth had seen the show before, and they told him the blasts would be sequenced so tightly they'd look like frames of animation across the sky. The finale was supposed to be a couple of hundred-foot-tall Spartan warriors who would crackle to life above the ocean, fight a battle, then explode into a million colors.

"Cool, right?" Paris asked when she walked past them.

Grover showed up while they were setting up a picnic blanket, Alice happily plopping herself next to Annabeth. Grover was dressed in his usual clothes-jeans, a T-shirt, and sneakers, but in the last few weeks he'd started to look older, almost high-school age. His goatee had gotten thicker. He'd put on weight. His horns had grown at least an inch, so he now had to wear his rasta cap all the time to pass as human.

"I'm off," he said, a little melancholy. "I just came to say... well, you know."

Olivia looked at him with a sad smile. Annabeth nodded proudly, and even Alice looked like she was trying to fend off tears. Percy wanted to feel happy for Grover. After all, it wasn't every day a satyr got permission to go look for the great god Pan.

But it was hard saying goodbye. Grover was his oldest friend (even if they'd only known each other for a year).

The girls each gave him a hug. Alice made sure to remind him to keep his fake feet on. Percy asked him where he was going to search first.

"Kind of a secret," he said, looking embarrassed. "I wish you could come with me, guys, but humans and Pan..."

"We get it," Olivia said.

"You got enough tin cans for the trip?" Annabeth asked.

Grover smiled. "Yeah."

"And you remembered your reed pipes?"

"Jeez, Annabeth," he grumbled. "You're like an old mama goat-or Olivia."

"Hey!" Olivia protested, nudging Grover with her elbow.

Neither of them really sounded annoyed, though.

Grover tightened his grip on his walking stick and slung a backpack over his shoulder. He looked like some hitchhiker you'd notice on an American highway-nothing like the little runty boy Percy kept safe from Yancy Academy's bullies.