4. 𝘖𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘢 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘗𝘦𝘳𝘤𝘺 𝘊𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘐𝘵 𝘘𝘶𝘪𝘵𝘴

Start from the beginning

It was a nice distraction. Even through they all hated Tantalus and were worried sick about camp, the race could serve as something to keep them off the terrible stuff going on until they came up with a plan to save Thalia's tree.

Olivia seemed to have an idea of what could, but she seemed unsure if she should mention it, which wasn't like her. But when Percy asked her, she mumbled something about Chiron and moved along.

They were walking towards the canoe lake when Tantalus suddenly appeared out of nowhere, his grimy face contorted in anger. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Anywhere away from you and your nasty ass breath," Alice groaned. "Seriously, dude. I know you can't eat, but that doesn't mean your mouth isn't hot as hell. Go brush your teeth."

"You insolent little brat," Tantalus growled, leaning closer to Alice. "You think you can just disrespect me? A king?!"

Alice responded by spitting on his face. The spirit's eyes opened wide with unabashed surprise before he glared at her. He raised his hand as if he was about to slap her. Annabeth moved to stand in front of Alice, but suddenly, a grapevine wrapped around his wrist and dragged him back.

"I would be very careful with her if I were you," Mr. D said, leisurely walking up to them. Tantalus' pale skin seemed to get paler. "After all, her father is the man in control of this place."

"M-my lord," Tantalus stammered, nervously looking at the god. "Apologies. I did not mean to raise my hand against-"

"My only daughter?" Dionysus finished. "Of course not. It's all forgiven. Just get to the kitchen. I would like you to go over the meals they are experimenting with. One of them was recommended to me by Apollo, who got it from his hellspawn of a flame. Alisha Anworth. You know her, I believe."

Tantalus looked mortified, his head hung in embarrassment as Dionysus walked off, giving Alice a pat on the head as he walked past her. Tantalus looked like he wanted to shove the daughter of Dionysus down a river, but he knew better than to do anything, so he just walked away.

"What does he mean by your mom knowing Tantalus?" Alice asked.

"It's because of... the thing," Olivia said.

"Oh," Alice said shortly.

"She knows?" Percy questioned.

"He sent a hellhound to deliver a letter to my mom," Olivia said. "Don't worry too much about it."

She walked off, with them following her. Soon after, Percy found himself sitting by the canoe lake with the girls, Olivia sketching chariot designs for them. Suddenly, some jerks from the Aphrodite cabin walked by.

"Percy, need to borrow mascara for your eye-oh sorry, eyes?" one of them taunted.

"Hey, how about you worry about your eyebrow?" Alice asked, sitting up. "Oh sorry-eyebrows."

The two stared at Alice, spluttering as they put hands to their eyebrows, running off and crying.

"Just ignore them, Percy," Annabeth advised. "It isn't your fault you have a monster for a brother."

"He's not my brother!" Percy snapped. "And he's not a monster, either!"

"She's not wrong, you know," Olivia said. "Cyclopes are monsters. And he is your brother."