The Notebook

Ethan had just broken his piggy bank. He wanted to count how much money he had. He had been saving up to buy his mother a birthday gift. 

The next thing was to decide what he should buy. That was the tricky part. He thought about what his mother might like and couldn't think of anything. 

"What should I  buy her?" he asked himself, but nothing came to his mind. He sighed. "Well, perhaps if I walk around the store, I might get an idea," he told himself one Saturday morning. He put all the coins into a bag and got out his backpack, and put the bag inside it. Then he set off on his bicycle.

He rode down past the houses and the gardens. There wasn't much traffic on the road. Ethan came to where the shops were and parked his bicycle. 

There was a candy store, a florist, a gift shop, a book shop and a pet shop. He thought out loud. "What shop should I visit?"  he asked himself as he stood by the road. He decided to visit the book shop. He suddenly remembered how his mother had wanted a notebook. 

He went inside the shop. It was a musty old shop with piles and piles of books. Ethan looked around, trying to find the shopkeeper. He walked around the bookstore, browsing through the books.

"What are you looking for, dear?" said a voice from behind Ethan that made him jump. Standing next to him was a woman with silver hair and green eyes. She was wearing a purple cloak. On the counter was a pointed hat. 

"I'm looking for a notebook for my mother," Ethan said, taking his backpack off his shoulder. 

"I have just the thing," said the woman and hobbled along into the book shop. Ethan followed. She went to where a set of notebooks were piled up and took out a book. 

"Here you go. This notebook is a handmade one," the shopkeeper said, handing it over to Ethan. Ethan looked at it.

It was a light blue notebook. On the cover written in gold was the word  "Eternity."  Written underneath in smaller letters was the line, "notes for a lifetime."

"Well, this looks nice," said Ethan looking at the book. He looked inside. There were  pages and pages of blank pages. "It's the ideal gift for mom," he said, handing the book over to the woman. " I will buy it." 

"That will cost you fifteen pounds," said the woman walking back to the counter. 

Ethan counted out the money and laid it on the table. The woman handed him the notebook, which Ethan carefully put into his backpack. 

'Thank you," said Ethan as he zipped his backpack. 

"Come anytime you want," said the shopkeeper smiling.

Ethan came out of the shop. On the opposite side was the florists. 

"I'll buy her some flowers as well," said Ethan as he came out of the bookshop.

 He stepped into the florist's shop. There was a young woman. 

"What are you looking for?" asked the young woman coming up to Ethan.

"I'm looking for a bouquet for my mother," said Ethan looking at all the colourful flowers around him. 

"Buy her some violets," she said, pointing to a neatly tied bunch. "They are fresh."

Ethan brought some violets. He paid the florist, and got on to his bicycle, and set off home.

He found a note pinned on the refrigerator. "Gone to visit Gran, prepared some food for you to take to Ian's house."