Ch 6

(Summer before 3rd year—Salem's eyes)

I hated home. It was nothing like Hogwarts. My father scared me. He wanted me to be like him. I knew that too. I also knew that I disappointed him. Not just because I won't carry on the family name. But because I am a girl.

The only child to the Pipers. I knew what I had to do to please him won't be easy. Even if it meant lying about my friends. There's a reason why I avoid Ron's questions about my family.

At Hogwarts I didn't want to worry about my family. Hell, I want to run away if I can. A part of me knew that if I ran, my father would come looking. I sighed as I put my quill back in the ink bottle.

I had just finished writing a letter to Hermione. Keeping her updated. However, I knew I better hurry and send it before my parents came in.

I hurried and sent the letter off just as a knock came at my bedroom door. My heart pounded in my chest.

"W-who is it?" I asked.

The door opened showing Draco and Blaise. Both had worried looks as they saw me relaxed.

"Bloody hell." I say, "You scared me."

Draco and Blaise stepped into the room. Blaise closed the door behind him.

"So," Draco says, "Our parents are having a meeting. They sent us up here."

I shivered. I knew a parent meeting would involve the dark lord's name somehow.

"Want to try and listen in?" I asked.

"Can we?" Draco asked. "Hell yes!"

"Do you really think that's a good idea?" Blaise asked.

"We don't have to stay for the whole thing." I tell Blaise.

Blaise glanced down at my hands. A small smile showing on his lips as we locked eyes. I felt my cheeks turn a little pink.

"I'll be back." Draco says, "I need to use the laboratory."

Draco hurried off. I raised an eyebrow and Blaise chuckled.

"What?" I asked.

"He thinks we like each other. As in like-like."

"Why-"

"The ring you still wear." Blaise explained. "He cornered me during our 2nd year. Force me to explain why I hardly ever left you alone. When we were in our first year I was nothing more than being a jerk to you."

"What did you tell him?" I asked.

I wanted to take a closer step towards him but I thought better of it.

"I told him that I was patching things up from 1st year. He bought it and left me alone. Though he still questions it."

"Well that's Draco for you. Never believes a word until the action follows."

Blaise's lips never smiled for so long.

"How come you don't do that more often?" I asked.

"Do what?" Blaise asked as his smile disappeareds.

"Smile. I hardly ever seen you smile."

"There's not much to smile for."

"Blaise-"

The door opened and I stopped talking. Draco came back inside. Blaise looked pissed. Draco looked between Blaise and me.

"Am I interrupting something?" Draco asked.

"No." Blaise says, shaking off his pissed look.

Blaise glanced at me. I wondered in his eyes before he looked back at Draco. We quietly went downstairs. Our parents were inside my father's office.

"When the time comes," My father starts, "Our children will be the next Death Eater generation."

"Yes but Lord Voldemort isn't back. Remember what happened with Potter?"

"Sadly I do." My father tells Mr. Malfoy. "But, when he comes back, we have to prepare our children."

"How?"

"They must do training to get ready for Lord Voldemort."

"Again, Mr. Piper, how will this happen."

"We must show them the dark magic. When they're ready of course. Once they are able to prove themselves then they get the dark mark, just like us."

I couldn't take it anymore. I snuck away from the closed office. My feet carried me outside. My own father wants me to bear the dark mark!

I felt a hand gently touch my elbow. I stopped and turned to find Blaise. Without warning, I hugged him. My head buried in his chest. His arms tightly around me. My eyes closed tightly so that the holding tears didn't escaped.

"I hate it here." I whisper.

"I know."

"I just want to be at Hogwarts."

"Everyone does."

I suddenly pull away from Blaise. I folded my arms as if I was cold.

"I-I can't be what he wants me to be."

"Then don't."

"It's not that simple, Blaise. I have to try and please him. Even if it means getting the dark mark."

"You don't have to do anything, love. You don't have to please everyone."

"I have to please my father." I whisper. "I'm a girl Blaise. I can't carry the family name. He hates me because of that."

Blaise gently placed his hand under my chin and lifted my head up. Our eyes locked on each other. For a moment I thought he was going to kiss me. And something inside me hoped that he was planning to do that.

"Don't let your head fall because of some man. Lift it up so you can fight him."

The hand under my chin dropped. However my head stayed up. Blaise smiled as he leaned in. I felt his lips on my cheek. My heart beat sped up. A small gaspe came out of my mouth as Blaise pulled away.

He took my hand and walked me back to my own house. A house I didn't want to go too. My hand tightly held his as we stepped inside.

"Where is Draco?" I asked in a whisper.

"Your room. I told him to go back while I calmed you down."

I hugged Blaise's arm as we walked up the stairs. I flinched when I heard yelling from my father's office.

"Hey." Blaise whispers. "It's okay. I'm here."

"Don't leave." I whisper.

"I will never leave you."