Chapter 21

Kenma's POV

We lost the match 26-28 but everyone said I'd probably saved their asses from an embarrassing loss so it was better in the long run. Going into a deuce twice was scary since I'd only ever heard about things like this from Kuroo (and didn't remember all that much) but actually playing the sport, it was thrilling.

I was now home, Saturday morning, waiting for my mother to get back. She'd been gone all week and, to be honest, it was better that way- I had gotten to spend so much time with Kuroo without constant interrogation as to my whereabouts.

"Kenma~" I heard the door open and her rather annoying voice rung out from downstairs.

"Gotta go Kuroo I'll call you later?" We had been on a call all morning since he said he, quote-unquote "missed waking up next to me every morning". I never really liked sappy shit but coming from him it made my heart flutter. I'd gone soft and I hated it but at the same time, it was rather amazing having someone like him.

"Yeah?" I ran down the stairs to greet her. She smelled like the airport- I myself hated that smell; it reminded me of travelling and, therefore- social interaction. It was by far my least favourite thing on earth, airplanes coming in at a close second.

"I'm home! That's no way to greet your mother! How have you been?" Ive been great- I got a boyfriend and a bunch of amazing new friends who actually care about me.

"I've been okay... kinda bored" i added the last bit for extra emphasis so my mother didn't get suspicious. She wasn't the controlling type but she got paranoid far easier than most so if she thought something was up she'd investigate like her life depended on it.

"Good. Good. Well do you want to go out for breakfast or do you want to do typical teenager stuff"

"Such as...?"

"I don't know... gaming?"

"Well-" she was putting far more effort in than she usually would which, I'll admit, scared me a bit- did she know about Kuroo and the boys? There's no way... right? "Sure. Why not"

"Okay get ready I'll get changed and we can go" she smiled so I assumed she wasn't suspicious or anything but, regardless, I was.

We decided on a little French café near our house. French culture was always so I intriguing to me- and their croissants~

"So what do you want Kenma, dear"

"Can I have a croissant and a hot chocolate please?"

"Sure thing. You get the table and I'll order"

I found a little booth at the back of the cafe. I never liked sitting out front much it was always so noisy and crowded- it made me uncomfortable. I waited there a few minutes before hearing a rather familiar voice form behind me.

"Is that pudding head or do my eyes deceive me~" Terushima called from behind me.

"Shut up Baka" at that, I swung my head around full speed to see no one other than Kuroo himself punching the blonde in the arm.

"Are you stalking me or something... attachment issues?" Teasing him would diffuse the tension I could feel building up. I didn't like Terushima all that much but he wasn't a bad person- he just agitated me at how he could be happy all the time. Surely it was unnatural for someone to smile so much- especially since every smile seems 100% genuine.

"Surprisingly, no. Me and Terushima decided to meet here to discuss what the other thought of our playing styles and ways we could improve" the were now both leaning on the table, Terushima having sat down at the edge of the seat. "Want to come with us? You look rather lonely"