~ 36 ~

THERE WAS A MULTITUDE of emotions that flooded the druid's chest at the mention of the Unseelie Queen. The first, fear, obviously. But then curiosity. She was such a mystery, what if she wasn't all they said she was? Unseelies were no worse then Seelies, it was just a myth that they were more wicked than their lively counterparts.

After that came excitement. If they were truly going to go visit Queen Mab, maybe they would come back with an answer. They'd figure out whether she was truly all legend said she was. Chalice didn't even know what she looked like, and they found themself eager to find out.

"When do we leave?" they asked, breaking the silence that had followed Giselle and Kit's announcement. "And, um, what will we do about Morgana?"

"We'll bring extra guards," Giselle answered, easing up that concern at least a little. Morgana had always been a tricky fellow, but now that he was properly against them, he was more dangerous than he'd ever been before.

"We're going once we're all back in shape for an adventure," Kit carried on. "That means good rest and full meals. Morgana will be getting the same."

Chalice didn't miss the pale look that fell over his face when he said that, and they had to wonder why that was. Kit often spoke of Morgana like a rival denying an underlying fondness would, but this time, he spoke of him like he was truly disturbed.

It didn't take a genius to observe the way Kit looked at Morgana before, it must've hurt him and Giselle the most to watch him change his loyalties. Kit didn't seem the type to just let go of feelings like that.

"I trust that includes you, too, Kristofer," Selene said pointedly.

"Of course it does," he answered, but Chalice could see the dodgy look in his eye. He had no intention of sleeping.

"I can watch him," Chalice piped up, catching his attention. "If that's what you're worried about. I can rest and pay full attention to him at the same time. Even if you don't trust the guards, you can trust me."

Kit's features relaxed. "Are you sure? If he tries anything--"

"I've got a good eye for faerie tricks, Kit, you can count on me." They gave him a smile, which he did his best to return.

"I think this means we should get ready for dinner," Giselle announced. "All of you, clean yourselves up." She took a deep breath. "My mother will be joining us."

The princess left after that, taking Selene and the boy with her. That left Kit and Eurion, but the thief went out after them, presumably to get ready to meet the Queen.

"Selene talked to everyone else," they said. "But you haven't had a moment to get yourself together." They patted the bed, eyes following Kit as he joined their side. "Talk to me."

He didn't say anything for awhile. They thought he wouldn't say anything at all, but he finally did, right before they could take their invitation back.

"Everyone keeps telling me it's not my fault," he said, looking down at his battered palms. "But it is. Some of it, at least. I'm imperfect, Chalice, I wish people would let me admit that. I made a mistake. I'm right to feel bad about it. Selene is happy to tell me all the things wrong about me, but no one is letting me feel like I messed this all up."

"You did," Chalice agreed, taking him by surprise. "You did mess this up, and your mistake cost everyone a lot.  But you already know that. So now what are you going to do about it? Wallowing certainly won't help."

Kit looked at them with a twinkling look in his eye. "I'm gonna... I'm gonna make it right. As right as I can make it. There's nothing I can do to make up for the lives my mistake has cost, but I'm gonna make right what I can."