~ 17 ~

THE PRINCE KNEW IT was risky to walk through a guarded town like this, but he was desperate enough for answers, he needed to try. He had no idea if Léona would turn him in, if she was still there at least. But if she sent Lionel to him, she wouldn't want him to get in trouble, right?

They kept to the back alleys, away from the heavily guarded areas. He hadn't seen Léona in a long time, but he was sure he still knew where she lived. Lionel was quiet the whole time, more interested in asking Kit for candy a man sold at a stand. He didn't have time for it, but Eurion was happy to do what she did best.

"Everything's free if you're fast enough," she whispered to Lionel as she handed him the treat.

They neared the opposite edge of town, where the houses got bigger and richer and quieter. Léona married rich, so he knew she lived here somewhere. He kept his eye out, trying to remember what house it was.

And then he found it. It was a stone house, crawling with vines and surrounded with flowers. Léona always did love a good garden, it was her favorite part of the castle to visit when she was with Kit.

He paused in his tracks in front the door, wondering if it was really a good idea. He was going to psych himself out. He couldn't do this. This was stupid and probably dangerous, and--

Eurion pounded her fist against the door. "You were taking too long," she said when he looked at her.

His heart was in his throat, hands shaking in anticipation. He stared at the door, praying it wouldn't open, that he had any reason at all to abandon the endeavor he'd gotten himself into.

But then it did open, and there Léona stood.

"Kristofer, what the hell are you doing here? You're a wanted man. I can't be seen with you." She was already getting antsy, looking back and forth down the street. "Make it quick."

Kit took a deep breath, then moved Lionel to stand in front of him.

"Why did you send him to me? You know I'm not--"

"Who's kid is that?" she asked.

He froze, cheeks heating up. "I'm sorry, what?"

She shook her head. "What, did you think he was mine?"

"Well apparently he's mine and we--well. You made the most sense."

"Kit, it's simple math. We only ended it two years ago, if he was mine he'd still be falling over when he walked." She pinched the bridge of her nose. "Good Lord, Kit, did you really have a child all this time and have no idea?"

He looked bashfully down at his son, who was paying absolutely no attention. He had the candy in one hand, crouched down and playing with a bug on the ground with the other.

"I guess I did." He took a breath, raking his hand through his hair. "Well, I'm sorry for wasting your time. I guess I have to look for a maid I don't remember."

"I might be able to find her name, if that helps," Léona offered.

He clutched his hair. "Really? You're a lifesaver, Lé--"

"Save it, Kristofer. I'm doing it for the kid." She disappeared into her house again, leaving him on the porch in anticipation.

They were out there for a good minute before she finally returned, holding a folded piece of paper. "Here it is. Don't lose it because this is the last favor I do for you."

He was about to thank her, but was cut off when she slammed the door.

"Yikes," Eurion muttered. "What the hell did you do to her?"

Excalibur's Seven | ✓ [LGBT]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें