hanahaki disease

A/n: this was requested by @AnonymousWisper :D

Hanahaki.

A disease of unrequited love. Where the person is destined to cough up petals till they die of suffocation. And the only cure is the person's feeling of romantic love are reciprocated.

And shinobu kocho has this disease of unrequited love.

"Nee-san... how old do you think i am!!" Shinobu said with a raised eyebrow. This is 2 months before she realised she had hanahaki and kanae is just being an overprotective sister.

"Oh c'mon shinobu, i am just looking out for you..." kanae laughed.

"I'm 18 nee-san, calm down and i thought you were going to see sanemi..." shinobu said.

"I am...just came to see you first—" shinobu didn't give her a chance to finish as she was pushed out door.

"See you later nee-san~" she said as she closed the door in kanae's face.

When she sighed the sudden urge to vomit hit with a force so hard she hurried to the bathroom and proceeded to vomit up blood.

But that not what got her attention. In the mix of blood and sweat, there was a single blue rose petal.

With the tears already falling from the force of vomiting, she fell to her knees in dispair. She knew exactly why this has started. Its because she had fallen for giyu tomioka, her PE teacher and the schools disciplinary demon.

'Well i guess if i am gonna die, i rather it be it with tomioka-sensei...' she thought as she laughed bitterly.

Of course she knows the symptoms. She had researched it and the only other cure is surgery but she isn't going to consider that option. She's loves him too much to get rid of the feelings, so she decides to die.

We are back to the present. A week left on her life. The coughing of petals has worsened, well they have been bad since that first day.

But ever since that day, she can't do anything without the cursed blue roses from coming out of her throat. Eventually kanae found out, and is trying her best to help her, but there isn't anything she could do.

"Cough cough..." petals flew out and even the whole rose. She picked it up from the floor and held it up to the sunset.

"Hello cursed flower from my doomed love...." she smiled. "Well, don't worry only a week left, till i suffocate on your beautiful petals." She laughed bitterly to herself. She turned to leave when a voice shouted.

"KOCHO!!" she turned back abruptly to see giyu running towards her.

"Ara? Tomioka-sensei? Do you need something?" She asked carefully.

Giyu can't speak because of the panting from the running. His face became really angry suddenly. Shinobu blinked. "Sensei whats... wrong..." she trailed off when he grabbed her hand with the blue rose in it.

"What-" she screamed out. "Kocho what is this?" He seemed enraged but why?

"Sensei, are you blind its obviously a flower..." she tried to smile but the angry face only worsened.

He gripped her hand harder. "No... this obviously isn't an ordinary flower..."

She laughed and dismissed his claims. "I have no idea what your talking about sensei... have you hit your head— cough!!" Her sentence was cut off by another violent coughing fit. She covered her mouth and on her hands, the beautiful and doomed blue rose petals.

Her eyes widened and she gasped. "What....no!!" She tried to stop the petals from spilling out but to no avail.

The coughing fit finally subsided and she looked up at giyu with a mix of tears and fear.

"T-This i-is nothing to worry about s-sensei—" she stopped when giyu just stared at her with anger mixed with sadness.

"Kocho...tell me when this started..." he asked.

".....2 months ago and i believe i have about a week left before i die." She explained. But then a smile came onto her face. "But you don't have to worry!! I don't mind dying y'know, even if its on my love for that person!!"

Now giyu's eyes widen in shock. She however continued. "Hanahaki.... its kinda tragic y'know haha.... just because your feelings of love are not returned, you die of suffocation..." shinobu raised her hand up to give giyu the blue rose.

"Do you want this tomioka-sensei? You can call it a parting gift, a memory of me teasing you about not being liked by people, which is true.." she smiled happily at him. Still in a state of shock, he accepted her gift.

She turned to leave again. "Well... this is probably the last week you'll be seeing me..." night has already fallen, she looked up at the moon and said in a somber tone "the moon is beautiful, isn't it?

She sighed. "Bye tomioka-sensei, better get some friends~" shinobu took one last jibe out of him before leaving for real.

However he grabbed her hand and turned her back around, pulled her into an embrace. She blinked once more.

"Ara ara~ who thought the schools disciplinary demon could be nice to people..." shinobu teased him.

Without saying a word, he crashed his lips onto hers. "HMPH—" her muffled scream against his lips.

'What? Why?' Are the only thoughts swirling about in her head. After a few seconds she closed her eyes and kissed back, the petals momentarily ceasing. A long passionate kiss, filled with desperation and wanting.

After pulling away, he said bluntly. "Don't throw away your life like this...i'm not even worth it and before you ask how i found out, kanae-san told me... "

Shinobu laughed. "Who said you were the one—" he pulled her closer.

"Ok say it to my face that you don't love me..." he stared stright into her lavender coloured eyes.

She couldn't cope. His electrifying blue eyes are too much. "I-I don't..." she can't speak. A slight smirk appeared on his face.

"I thought so..." he held up the rose. "This is a very pretty flower, blue, just like the ocean..." he commented. Her face was pink in embarrassment.

"Mou!! Why are you even teasing me... i thought you hated me or something—" he kissed her again.

"Who said i hated you?"

"I don't know!! The teasing maybe..."

"Well i don't want you die because of me... so i'll say this once..." he pulled her even closer, till foreheads were touching each other.

"I love you shinobu kocho..." he confessed.

Tears appeared in her eyes again and the dull ache in the chest from the disease disappeared. It was finally gone, the dreaded but oh so beautiful hanahaki disease.

Guess her love wasn't so tragic after all.

Author-chan:
I have always wanted to write something like this- 😂
And also...why is this so long!! I-
Anyway hope you liked it ✨
🦋🌊