Life 7-1 Chapter 21: What now?

Start from the beginning

The boy stayed silent, eyes roaming around his opponent's body, looking for any sign of weakness.

"Come on kid. Just 'cause we're enemies doesn't mean you can snub me like that." Cu Chulainn frowned. "I'm not getting anything out of you am I?"

He sighed when he didn't get an answer. "Of course. Typical."

He twirled his spear, grasping it firmly with his two hands. "Fuck it. I'll just finish this off and go back to Cao Cao."

Issei stood still, watching as the boy and the hero begin their fight to the death.

'Hello my host. We finally meet again.' A voice spoke up from behind him, and even in his own mind, Her voice didn't feel like it was speaking to him normally but rather, it feels like she's sending the message directly to his mind.

"Ah, I was wondering why the hell I was seeing this." Issei sighed, refusing to look at the one who spoke. "How the hell did you get out anyway?"

'It was your seal." It said smoothly, coming to a stop beside him while Issei still firmly refused to even so much as sneak a glance. "It has sufficiently weakened enough for me to break free of the shackles.'

"And it was you who was manipulating my emotions right?" Issei asked cynically.

'It was purely minor things, I assure you.' The figure assured him, fearlessly telling the truth with no second thought of the consequences. 'Though it was certainly not my intent to do so. After all, it is in my very nature to do such things. For me to be rid of that is akin to me dying.' The way its voice sounded so sincere, Issei would've almost believed that it was filled with remorse for something it had no control over.

"Hm, I guess that's true." Issei muttered. "I knew that getting stuck with a freaking spirit of Wrath wouldn't end well for me."

"If it is of any worth, I am truly sorry for affecting you the way it does. You case is certainly unique."

Issei snorted. "You make it sound like you've had other hosts beside me."

The figure smiled slightly. 'Even so, I highly doubt that I would affect others the same way I do to you.'

"I'm special that way." Issei said unashamedly.

The figure laughed. 'That you are my host. That you are.'

()()()()()()()()()

Issei opened his eyes once more; it was to a bland, grey ceiling. "Well that was enlightening." He said mildly to himself.

"What are you talking about?" Vali's voice came from somewhere to his side.

"Nothing." Issei dismissed readily, sitting up on the bed, gratefully accepting the cup of water Vali held out, taking great pleasure in the cool feeling of the liquid wetting his dry lips and his parched throat.

Vali raised an eyebrow at his answer but didn't press. He went to the side of the bed, taking his seat on a wooden stool.

"What happened? Why the hell am I in a hospital bed?" Issei asked. "Because I distinctly remembered being conscious when the end of the game was announced."