Life 3-2 Chapter 9: The perverted pawn and the stony cat

Koneko was just a tad bit confused.

Okay, a lot confused, and it was because of one thing, or rather, one person.

Issei Hyoudou.

She had first assumed that her senpai was nothing more than a pervert, and from what she had heard and seen firsthand, she was right.

But he was also more than that, a lot more.

He was dependable, kind, and was there to speak a kind word or two to those who need it.

That's why, she used the time her regular meditation in the clearing gave her in order to reflect on her rather strange teacher.

And as she began to think, she began to forget, being distracted by her own reflections.

The steady regulation of energy that filtered in and out of her body began to experience a slow buildup, straining against her core.

Koneko began to become more and more erratic, her body beginning to twitch, her breaths becoming shorter and shorter.

Her eyes widened as she finally noticed her mistake.

She began to fight herself even as her body began to overtake her mind, losing in the battle against the malice of chakra.

She began to struggle even harder as her mind began to slowly be closed off, a heavy veil closing over it, covering her body and dulling her senses.

'Senpai.'

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Issei rushed through the forest, shoving through the branches of the trees covering the clearing, just in time to see the aura fade away into the air.

Cautiously, he stepped into the place he had shown Koneko, seeing her crouched form right in the middle, tails sprouting out and cat ears pressed against the top of her head.

"Koneko?" He said warily, getting closer to his junior. "Koneko-chan, are you alright?" Slowly, he approached her and placed his hand on her shoulder.

Big mistake.

Her face flashed towards him, revealing that her irises had turned black with red edges, and that blood-like markings were running down from them and down into her chin.

Faster than he could have expected, her fist whirled through the air at Issei, who barely managed to get his arms crossed in time to block it.

The moment it connected, Issei was pushed back with enough force to embed him deep in the trunk of the tree behind him, leaving a perfect outline of his body on it's surface.

Standing up, he groaned, brushing the dust off himself. "Right. Nature chakra, a whole lot better than steroids."

He glanced up and came face to face with Koneko, who managed to cross the distance in the blink of an eye, still staring at him with those creepy eyes.

"Ah."

Koneko's foot connected with his body, once again launching him across the opposite end of the clearing.