Life 7-1 Chapter 21: What now?

It was a scene ripped straight from a hell, fire raging all around as men and women screamed in fear and shock, running away from the ones who had so brazenly struck their headquarters, a place they had all considered to be a fortress, the epitome of safety.

But they weren't without means of protection.

Their soldiers ran around, new recruits trembling in their armor and battle hardened soldiers who merely set their faces in cold, grim determination alike, meeting their foes in the streets, the tops of the roof and even inside of the houses and buildings, all in order to let the Masters escape with their lives, their research and the intelligence they had gathered in the short year they stayed in the place, evacuating into the tunnels that led to numerous portals connected to safe points.

One of their soldiers stood up, all by himself, against the bulk of the attack. One of the soldiers looked troubled, slowly approaching the boy. "Hey um….Look, if you just run away now, we'll just ignore you okay?"

"Oi, what the hell are you talking about? Our orders were pretty clear. Kill everyone in here."

"But he's just a kid!" The soldier cried out indignantly, gesturing at him. "At least give THIS one a chance! We're the Hero Faction aren't we!? We're fighting so things like this will never happen to a kid like him!"

"Fine." His commanding officer sighed. "Just leave him be for- GET AWAY!" He suddenly yelled as the boy instantly sprinted towards Jack, who turned just in time to look the child in his eyes.

Splurt!

The dagger in the kid's hands found its way into his throat, slitting it in a gruesome imitation of a smile.

"Glurk." Was all he managed, never even having the opportunity to summon his Sacred Gear as he reached up to his throat in an ultimately futile gesture to try and save himself.

"OH SHIT!" Was the unanimous cry, hastily drawing their weapons and Gears in order to deal with the kid.

Whilst they were in the middle of their mad scramble, the boy had already managed to get in their ranks, his form a blur as his blades found themselves embedded in throats, underneath the ribcages and into the heart, right at the temple and buried in their brains. Within seconds, the rank of 30 men along with their commanding officer lying on the ground, openmouthed as he watched the systematic slaughter of his men all by a single child.

He grit his teeth, anger bubbling up from within him. "I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU, YOU BASTARD!" He roared, summoning his Sacred Gear from within him. "I'LL FUCKING KI-"

The boy ripped of his dagger from the throat of his enemy when he felt a burst of killing intent behind him. His body moving before his mind even caught up, he turned, raising his blades in an X, diverting the crimson spear above his head. He used the left to try and throw his opponent off balance and sped forward, right dagger already poised to stab just beneath the ribcage and into the heart.

An instant before he would have made contact, the man moved with speed that almost surpassed his own, going along with his spear, spinning his body along his heel and slamming the butt of the spear on the boy's shoulder, sending him skidding away, bouncing off the ground twice before getting his bearings back.

"Damn that was close." The man whistled and the boy finally got a good look at him. He was surprisingly small, looked to be quite young and had a handsome, clean-shaven face. His hair was black and hung down to his nape. "You're pretty good." He complimented, frowning when he didn't get an answer. "I'm Cu Chulainn, member of the Hero Faction. And you are?"