Chapter XIX

Mulai dari awal

"Well, I think I look better without it." He said, lying. Truthfully, he couldn't grow one if he tried.

"You always look the same. Auntie Elsa grows up, but you look the same. I want to be like you." He said, "I don't want to grow up." He decided. Jack gave a soft frown.

"You don't want to be like me, kid." He shook his head, "I'm...well..." He struggled to find the right words, "Just drink your hot chocolate, kid." He finally finished.

Jack walked Alfsol back to his wing of the castle, when his mother would be waiting. He was just about to leave when Alfsol grabbed his leg.

"What?" He asked, turning and crouching low. Alfsol gave him a hug.

"I love you Uncle Jack." He said. Jack smiled, and hugged his nephew.

"I love you too."

Jack hardly registered the door opening until Anna's disturbed voice made Alfsol pull away. "What are you doing?" She asked.

"Hugging Uncle Jack!" Alfsol said happily, and then frowned, "Wait...I'm not supposed to talk about him." He realized too late. Anna looked around, and seeing no one, grabbed Alfsol by his collar and pulled him inside.

"Whose Uncle Jack?" She demanded.

"Elsa's husband. The King. Heimdall's dad." Alfsol shuffled his feet, throwing out words with the hopes she would understand.

"I didn't see anyone." She sat, tapping her foot angrily.

"Jack said you wouldn't see him." He said with a childish shrug. Anna narrowed her eyes.

"He did, didn't he?" She asked dryly, and her son nodded. "Baby, this person isn't real. I've never seen him, and don't you think I know everything?" She asked, crouching down.

"You don't know about Uncle Jack." He said firmly. Anna sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Well, you tell that to your father when he comes home and we'll see what he says. Imaginary uncles indeed!"

Kristoff arrived home to find his eldest son sitting in a chair facing the wall, not at all looking ashamed. He looked at his wife with a rueful smile. "Was it your grandmother's vase again?" He asked, but was surprised to find the much repaired vase still sitting crookedly on it's pedestal.

"He's making up things like Elsa." Anna growled, "Kristoff, tell him he's just making it up and he needs to stop." Kristoff sighed and turned his son's chair around.

"He's real dad." Alfsol said in a small voice, "Uncle Jack is real."

Kristoff recalled that night so long ago in the kitchen where Jack Frost had appeared before his eyes. He hadn't believed it either. But since that night, he'd become friends with Jack. Jack was a good man and a wonderful father. Tonight was the night he couldn't agree with his wife.

"Ah, he is?" He asked knowingly, "And...what does he look like?" Anna gave a frustrated huff.

"He's skinny. He doesn't have a mustache like you do. Really pale skin. White hair. Really clear eyes." Alfsol said slowly, fearing his father to yell at him like mom would.

"Oh, yes, yes." Kristoff agreed, "And...can he do magic?" He asked.

"The best kind. He made us a snow-hill today!" Alfsol's eyes lit up at the memory, and his mother came between her son and husband.

"This isn't getting him anywhere. You're just encouraging him!" She was on the brink of tears, "Honey...please..."

He took his wife's small hands, holding them in his own. He wasn't sure how to start. He looked at his son once again. "What's Jack's full name?" He asked. Alfsol thought for a moment.

"Well, Heimdall's last name is Frost. Jack Frost." He deduced. Anna sputtered.

Kristoff leaned in, "Did your father ever tell you about Jack Frost?" He asked Anna.

"Well of course. He was Elsa's favorite in the picture book."

"Did you believe him?" He asked. Anna backed way.

"For a bit. When I was a child. A child," She repeated, "Oh no...not you too." Kristoff stood.

"Babe, I know it sounds crazy, but we have a talking snowman in our house. Your sister can shoot ice from her hands. My family are rocks that turn into trolls. Is it really so hard to believe in Jack Frost?" He asked.

"He's just an expression!" Anna tugged at her braids, "When did you cross over to the dark side."

"After I read Alfsol his story and he looked at me and told me that he believed in Jack with his whole heart. I...I remember being a child, and Pappi telling me about him. I remember him telling me that what we think we see is just an illusion. Then, I went to get you sardines, and I ran into him in the kitchen." He said with a laugh.

"Mom, come with me." Alfsol said with a determined look on his face, and tugged his mom all the way across the castle. After a bit of searching, he found his Uncle having dinner with Heimdall in the library.

"Alfsol? Kristoff?" Jack titled his head in surprise, and then saw who was on the men's tail.

"Mom, he's sitting right there!" Alfsol cried, pointing to the lounge couch next to the books on fantasy.

"You can't believe that a three-year-old got himself food and climbed on here by himself, do you?" Kristoff used motherly reason, and Anna seemed caught. She tried to turn and go, but her husband stopped her.

"Anna, listen to me. When I first met you, you would do anything for your sister. Even when she wanted to shut you out, you never stopped trying to get in. She was your world. Don't you trust her? Maybe you've become estranged, but remember what it was like before." Kristoff said, "Can't you try, for her?" He asked.

"I...what am I trying?" She asked. Kristoff turned her around and pointed her in the direction of where Jack sat.

"Close your eyes and imagine him like Alfsol described him and how he was in the books. Make yourself believe. Say it- I believe in Jack Frost."

Anna closed her eyes and said it a couple times, and wasn't surprised when she opened her eyes and saw nothing there, just like before. Alfsol hugged her.

"Mom, you're not saying it like you believe! Mom, you have to believe!" He said, and Anna looked into his eyes and realized how much he saw or thought he saw. She made an effort to close her eyes, and recall the magic she felt repressed deep in the chambers of her heart. Her eyes exploded with memories of her playing with Elsa in the snow, but in their grand ballroom. Everything she'd imagined they'd done outside like two normal children was not so- it was Elsa. Her heart fluttered, and she opened her eyes.

And low and behold, there was a man sitting in the place where there hadn't been before. He stood, brushing the crumbs away and walking up to her, grinning.

"Hello, Anna. I'm you're brother-in-law, Jack Frost."

"Oh, Odin, he's real..." Anna whispered and swayed and promptly collapsed on the floor. Alfsol went up and nudged his mother.

"Mom it's rude to sleep when you meet new people!" He said angrily. Kristoff shrugged when Jack looked at him.

"I expected her to scream."