CHAPTER ONE

6 months

6 months.

It has been 6 months since Lizzie, Minho, and all of the other kids have been taken by WICKED. Those were the worst 6 months in Lizzie's life. There were so many tests, experiments and her energy being so drained that she didn't have the strength to move a muscle.

WICKED moved them around a lot to different bases, knowing that the Right Arm would most likely try to find them. She tried her best to keep track of Minho, Aris, and Sonya, not wanting to loose either of them, but she got too tired and eventually gave up, hoping that they were okay.

She was currently sat in the back of a train cart along with the other kids, her hands were tied together with a chain that hung from the ceiling. She looked up whenever she heard running footsteps. She furrowed her eyebrows when the cart suddenly stopped moving and looked around with confusion when she heard gunshots outside.

Hope filled her, thinking that it was Thomas and the others coming to their rescue. Her eyes grow wide when the cart was lifted into the air and she looked around, wishing that there were windows so she could see what was happening.

A few minutes past until they were landed on the ground. She looked past the heads that were in front of her, and it was kind of hard to see, but she heard the sound of something cutting through the metal door. She watched with curiosity as the door flew open, letting sunlight shine through the dark cart.

She let out a sigh of relief when she saw Thomas and Newt walking in with a hopeful look on their face. Harriet walked in a few seconds later, looking around for her friends. Lizzie watched as Thomas stood beside someone and her lips curved upwards, happy that Aris and Sonya were in there with them.

Newt walked past him, eyes scanning the cart until they landed on Lizzie and he immediately rushed over to her. "Liz, you're here."

Lizzie did her best not to break down at seeing the boy who was like a brother to her. She smiled at him. "Yeah, I am. Hi, Newtie."

She was sitting on the edge of the row she was in. He knelt down besides her, putting a hand on her shoulder, not realizing how much he missed her saying his nickname until that moment.  He noticed that even though she was smiling, he could tell that she was still worried. "Don't worry, you're safe now, alright?"

Lizzie nods, swallowing down her worries while Thomas noticed Newt was talking to someone and went over to them, smiling when he saw Lizzie.

"Liz, I'm so glad you're here." He hugged her even though it was kind of awkward since Lizzie's hands were tied and she couldn't exactly hug him back, but she leaned into him, finally feeling safe after 6 months.

He pulled away after a few seconds, glancing around the cart one more time before looking back at Lizzie. "Where's Minho?"

"I...I wish I knew the answer to that." Lizzie shook her head, her lips curving downwards into a frown. "I'm pretty sure he's in one of the carts..." Her voice trailed off, looking over at Newt and Thomas who shared disappointed looks which made her furrow her eyebrows.

"Is he not in this one?" She asked since she had no idea who all was in the cart with her. They both shook their heads.

"No, he's not." Newt replied, a small frown was on his face since he was upset that they didn't find one of his best friends. But just because they didn't find him this time, that didn't mean they were gonna give up. "But we're gonna find him, okay?"

Lizzie nods, believing that they would eventually find Minho. "Okay."

They brought everyone to their base where if they needed it they could go to the medical tent and all the teenagers were given a jacket if they needed one. Lizzie wore a maroon color jacket as she sat next to Aris and Sonya.

They listened to Vince speak to them about how WICKED's still out there because they got something WICKED wants and how WICKED thinks they are worth sacrificing to find the cure. He continued his speech saying he doesn't think that. He explained that in two days after they get the rusty boat seaworthy they were gonna go to a place where WICKED won't find them, a place where they could start over, a place where they could call home. 

As great as that sounded, she already made up in her mind that she wasn't leaving without Minho no matter what. And if that meant that she would have to risk her life getting Minho alone, then she would do it because she loves him.

****

Lizzie was now sitting next to Aris while Sonya sat on the other side of Aris, cleaning off some dry blood that was on Aris' face. Aris had a black eye, a cut on his cheek and a cut on his lip from fighting back with WICKED's guards.

"Here, drink this." Harriet said, handing the three of them cups of water when she walks over to them.

Lizzie sent her a thankful smile. "Thanks." She said and Harriet smiled, nodding at her as if that was her way of saying 'you're welcome'. She sat besides Sonya while Lizzie took a drink of the cold refreshing water.

"Took you guys long enough to rescue us." Aris joked and a small chuckle left Thomas' lips. "It's good to see you too, bud." He looked over at Lizzie, then at Sonya and then back at Aris. "So, what happened?"

"I fought back. Tried to, anyways." Aris answered.

"Which was probably not the greatest idea." Lizzie spoke up, earning a small glare from Aris. She raised a hand up in defense while some of the others chuckled. "I'm just saying."

"You're lucky you found us at all." Sonya chimes in. Lizzie nodded in agreement. "Yeah, they liked moving us around a lot."

Sonya glances at her, nodding her head as she looked back at Thomas. "It felt like something big was happening."

"Any idea where they were heading?" Newt questions.

Lizzie shakes her head while Aris responded. "All I know is that they were talking about a city."

Thomas looked back at Newt, sharing a confused look with him. Harriet furrowed her eyebrows. "I didn't think there were any cities left."

"That's because there aren't." Brenda spoke up. "Not still standing, anyway."

"Okay, wait. What about Minho? Why wasn't he on the train?" Thomas inquired, looking at Aris, Lizzie, and Sonya. Lizzie shared a sad look with Aris and Sonya before they looked back at him.

"I'm sorry, Thomas...He was." Aris answered.