CHAPTER FIVE

The next day Lizzie was finishing up bandaging one of the Slicers whenever she heard yelling

The next day Lizzie was finishing up bandaging one of the Slicers whenever she heard yelling. Once she finished wrapping up the Slicer, the two walked out of the hut to see what was going on.Lizzie's eyes widened when she saw Thomas running back from the woods with Ben following him. Ben was yelling things like, 'it's your fault', and constantly kept trying to tackle Thomas to the ground. The closer she got, she noticed how pale he was which wasn't a good sign.

"What's going on?" Clint asked, walking out of the hut with Jeff.

Lizzie shakes her head and frowns. "I don't know. But it doesn't look good."

Lizzie ran over along with the rest of the Gladers when Ben tackled Thomas to the ground. Thomas did his best to try and get Ben off of him as Ben yells, "I'll kill you!"

Newt hits Ben with a plank of wood which gets Ben off of Thomas. "Hold him down!" He exclaimed. He knelt on the ground, holding Ben down. Frypan and Gally did their best to help keep ahold of Ben since Newt was having trouble on his own.

"Thomas, what happened?" Lizzie asked as Thomas stood up. 

"He just attacked me." He replied and everyone looked at him with shock since Ben never attacked someone.

Thomas rests his hands on his knees while trying to catch his breath. "You okay?" Chuck looked at him with concern, and the boy beside him nodded.

Ben somewhat calmed down while Alby stepped forward. Fear grew in Ben's eyes after he had a look of realization on his face. He started mumbling 'no' over and over until he shouted it. Lizzie noticed the black veins extending on the side of his face, and she feared for the worst.

"Lift up his shirt." Alby demanded.

When Newt lifted Ben's shirt to reveal a nasty bite, everyone gasped and backed away, including Lizzie. "He's been stung," Gally notices, glancing at Newt and then Alby with confusion. "In the middle of the day?"

Alby was quiet for a moment before he stands and demands, "Put him in the pit."

Ben continued to struggle and yell as some of the boys carried him over to the pit. Then, everyone walked back to what they were doing before, but Lizzie stayed back with Thomas.

She puts a hand on his shoulder. "You okay?" She asked, her voice laced with concern.

"I'm a little shaken up, but yeah. I'm okay." He reassured her with a slight smile on his face.

She smiles, relieved he was okay. "Okay, good. If you find out you got hurt, just let me or one of the other Med-Jacks know."

****

Before she knew it, it was time for banishing Ben to the maze. Lizzie stayed in the back with Chuck and glanced over her shoulder, seeing that Thomas was walking up to them. The Gladers in front were holding a long pole in front as Minho pushed a tied-up Ben towards the door that was now open. Ben had gotten worse. He had more black veins running up his arms and even over his face.