Proof

Eli

"Where are we going?" Zen giggles. I was currently leading him to an empty soccer field that was connected to a children's park. Kids of all ages rolled around in the dirt, climbing on the different colored plastic play parts. The parents watched as they chatted with a distant neighbor.

All was fine in Ohio.

"You'll see." I responded back. My hands were still placed on Zen's eyes. I directed him to the main spot, where there were no distractions. I walked us away from any children that could see us, see me for what I'm about to do.

Off in the distance, are picnic tables that were scattered through the field. Couples ate lunch there, enjoying the laughter that was spread all around. The sun was out, beaming down at us, warming our blood. It was warm outside in Ohio. Not too cold, but not too hot.

It was a good day. A good day to show a cute boy my vampire powers.

"Ok. You can open your eyes." I finally say, releasing my hands over Zen's eyes. I had taken us to a good secret spot that no one would be able to notice us. He looks at me, his usual dorky smile plastered onto his face. Something that I would still melt at. I smiled back at him passionately.

"Why are we here?" He asks, smiling around at the joyful crowd surrounding us. I eyed him carefully. His skin seemed to glow brightly in the sun. It was milky smooth, and looked soft. His bleached blonde hair reflected gracefully under the warm January sun.

"You said you wanted proof, aye? Well I'll give you it." I teased him.

He only grinned at me, looking me up and down, before raising his eyebrow. He waited patiently for me to start my "proof."

"So, as a vampire, I can run super fast. I can use mind compulsion, I also have super strength. I read minds, and a lot more." I ensure him. Zen nods at me in approval. "Sounds good. Let's see it, Mr. Vampire."

I breathe in and out. The fresh air entering my lungs, and releasing as I prep my stance, getting ready to run from one tree to another. They both were spaced out pretty far.

"3..2...1.." I mutter to myself.

From there, I blasted from one tree to another. It seemed like I was bouncing off the walls, spinning miles per minute, and I honestly think I was. I felt my body slice through the air rapidly. My hair floated through the wind carelessly, spiraling all over the place.

By the time I arrived back, the only expression on Zen's face was shocked. But a smirk began to form on the edges of his pink lips as he jumped up and down clapping. "HOLY SHIT I THOUGHT YOU WERE JOKING!" He said, still jumping up and down. I admired the way his vintage round glass slid a little bit off his face, then back to their original place.

I laughed at how clueless he once was, now shocked. "Nah. Lying about being a vampire is just pathetic. All those graceful powers gone to waste." I couldn't help but smile endlessly. Zen just brought that type of energy out of me. In a good way.

He nods his head, still clapping softly to himself. "That was so cool. So you can do other stuff?" He asks me. I got him hooked, clearly intrigued. "Yep! Loads of other cool and bad stuff come with being a vampire." His eyes widen at the word "bad"

"Bad? Like do you get hunted down by vampire hunters like in the movies?" I shrug. "They are not really called that but they have more purpose then to hunt us down. Everyone has their own opinion on vampires. Some think they're the spawn of Satan, others think they deserve peace and justice just like every other mythical species." I state.

He couldn't keep his smiles in, trying to be serious about the topic but he wasn't that type of guy. "That sucks. I'm sure your life is really crazy then, like you said." I nod. Oh is he in for a ride.

We stare at each other for a little, kinda just enjoying our time when Zen's phone buzzes. He zones back in, taking it out to look at it. He mutters something under his breath. "Shit. I totally forgot I have to get back to work at ten. How far are we from the Dunkin' Donuts?" Zen asks. His emotions seemed to have completely shifted. That damn boss.

I look around at the playground. Some kids were still hanging off of it. Though lots of side stores were starting to close up. The sun was even starting to set. "A couple miles down." I tell him.

Zen looked stressed. Like someone had just shot his whole family, and left their lifeless bodies in his family room, there for him to clean up. Except he was probably going to be fired from his job if he didn't get back there in time. "How long was your lunch supposed to be?" I asked him, suddenly worried for him.

His face turns flushed as he checks his time again. "Lunch break started at noon, only was supposed to last until 1:30, 2 at the latest." He gulps. "What time is it now?" He stutters. "Almost four."

Shit.

"Oh god. Zen I'm so sorry I probably just got you fired--" He interrupts me with a random hug. His arms wrapped around me tightly. He seemed to fit perfectly around me. Secure and protected from the world. "It's fine." He breathes into my ear, sending chills down my spine.

I enfolded my arms around him in return. His embrace was strong, his energy matching mine flawlessly. "I wanted to quit. My boss is a total dick, but I was too much of a wuss to do it. But you--" he pulls away from me to face me. Zen's eyes lurked deep into mine, brown and warm. "You just gave me that extra push. To move forward from that damn job. I need something better." He smiles at me.

I smile back at me. Never in a million years would I think someone would react this positively to a situation like this. I'd at least tears, tears of pain or disappointment. But I think Zen would cry tears of joy in this moment, in which he started to do so.

"O--f course." I stammer out. I wasn't sure how to respond to something like that. Getting thanked by someone for getting fired. But I guess I wasn't complaining.

"We should get back to my room. Or I guess you're fired for a hotel job." I laugh.

"We would, but you see, we walked here, in broad daylight, and I hate to break it to you, but I'm exhausted." He seems to turn sassy at this time in the evening.

I smirk at him, and he looks at me like I'm dumb, or not understanding something.

"I think I have a solution."