Chapter Twenty Eight : Falling

Beginne am Anfang

"Sorry." I whisper, putting the pen down. I look down at my hands that have healed up pretty quickly, my palms lined with faint cuts of where the shards of glass used to be. Thankfully, the class soon finishes up and we make our way through campus to get to Sam's car.

"I need to pick up a few things from my place but I'll drop you off on the way, if that's alright?"

"Yeah. That's fine." I agree, getting into the passenger seat. We do our seatbelts and he turns the ignition on, pulling away. He's seemed a little quiet, almost awkward for the past two days. I can't help but feel guilty. I think I've scared him with everything that's happened. The blame is sitting on my shoulders, weighing me down.

"Is everything alright, Sam?" I ask, angling my head at him.

"Yeah. I'm just so tired. It's been a long few days." He responds with a kind smile that doesn't fully convince me.

"You can say that again." I prop my elbow up, resting my head in my palm, watching as the outside world flashes by.

**

He parks up outside the apartment building and tells me he'll be around thirty minutes before he arrives back.

"See you later!" I smile before closing the door and getting myself inside the building.

I take the stairs because I always take the stairs out of habit. Getting to the door, I put the key in and enter the warm safety of the apartment. I kick my sneakers off, leaving them with the others pairs left there.

Struggling to get out of my jacket, I turn the corner when I see Thomas sat on the couch, his elbows resting on his bent knees.

"You're back?!" I cry out, excitedly. An overwhelming feeling of joy and relief flushes through my body. I finally manage to get out of my coat, grinning at him.

It's almost as if I haven't seen him in months. His smooth skin is tanned, carving out the muscles that are poking out from underneath his white short sleeves. The front of his dark hair falls over his forehead, the light creating a twinkle in his green eyes. He looks so handsome.

But on second glance, he looks angry – his jaw sharp, his hands in fists underneath his chin.

The realization hits.

He's home early. He hasn't got up to hug or kiss me. Scratch that – he isn't even looking at me.

"You're back." I state sadly as the wave of happiness I had instantly washes away.

He lets out a long, angry breath, his jaw tightening beyond what's possible. I place my bag down, chewing on the inside of my mouth, not knowing what to say.

"He told you. Didn't he?" I ask him, quietly, regretfully.

He nods, still not wanting to look in my general direction. Now it makes sense why Sam didn't want to come in with me. I was being set up for this.

"I don't fucking get it." He finally says, the sharpness of his words cutting through the air. "Why didn't you say anything to me?"

"You were with your family. It was fine." I excuse myself, taking a step towards him. "I was with Sam all the time. I-."

"Obviously not – all the time." He twists his head and stares scorching daggers at me. It's the look he gave me when I first turned up on his door. Dark, mean and stern. "You told me everything was okay, so you lied to me." It's taking everything within him to not start shouting. He's over pronouncing his words, speaking clearly and slowly.

"I didn't lie. Things are okay now. I was a little shaken up at first-." I reel off.

"You're supposed to tell these things Is!" He stands, interrupting me. "We're supposed to be doing this shit together but you're keeping secrets from me now?!"