Chapter 4: Dysfunctional Drama

Start from the beginning

Steam puffed out of Keegan's nostrils. "How old are you?" he angrily asked Mateo.

"Dad! We don't ask things like that!" Evie said.

Mateo held his hand up to her. "It's okay, little one." Nevertheless, before he could say anymore, his eyes landed on Ms. Gilbert standing on the front stoop. Just seeing her, he looked nervous. "Um, who's that old woman over there?"

"Why do you care?" Keegan wanted to know.

Charlotte ignored him. She answered Mateo's question. "That's Ms. Gilbert. She's our next-door neighbor."

"Ms. Gilbert?" Mateo looked like he was about to be sick.

Ms. Gilbert gave him a blank stare. She had no idea why that man was looking at her like that.

Mateo stumbled and begged, "No." He smacked his hands over his face.

Evie, Keegan, and Charlotte gave him a funny look.

Mateo sniffed.

"Are you crying?" Evie inquired.

"No, of course not." Mateo looked up. "I-I just need a moment." He sauntered away from the party and propped up against the Madison family's mailbox.

The bus driver retrieved the clipboard from Keegan. "You'll have to excuse Mr. Mateo. He's a bit stressed."

"We can see that." Keegan looked quite amused by Mateo's behavior, but Evie and Charlotte were worried. Why was he stressed?

"Anyway," continued the driver, "welcome to the pack, Miss Madison. I'll take that." He grabbed Evie's suitcase from Charlotte.

"Thank you," Evie said. She was ready for action, but before she could even move toward the bus, her parents stopped her. They had to go over a few rules.

Charlotte pointed at her chest. "Remember to call us every day. That's why we gave you the spare phone."

Evie rolled her eyes. Parents always got so emotional when they sent their kids off.

Keegan bopped her nose. "And most importantly, no boys! Do you hear me? No boys!" He glanced at Mateo out of the corner of his eyes. "I don't want you to get close to that counselor. You understand?"

"But, Father–"

"Do you understand?"

Evie let out a low sigh. "Yes, sir."

"Keegan." Charlotte bumped Keegan's shoulder to say he was being rude.

Keegan mumbled under his breath, "That kid is too young to be a counselor anyway."

"Um, so, shall we get you on the bus?" the driver asked Evie. Even he was a little uncomfortable.

"Sure. I just need to do one thing," Evie said. She wanted to say goodbye to Ms. Gilbert. She hurried to the front steps and climbed them.

Mateo, who hid behind his hand, dropped it. He glanced over his shoulder at the two.

Evie gave Ms. Gilbert a sheepish smile. "Well, this is it, Ms. Gilbert. I'm off to the forest."

Ms. Gilbert grasped her shoulder. "I'm proud of you, Evie. Mam. Find Mam."

"I will do what I can." Evie still did not totally understand the old woman's plea. She pulled her into a quick hug.