Chapter 20

Wilbur wakes up. The bed is hella soft and warm. Next to him is someone reading a book. At least that's what it sounds like. The rustling of paper is heard. A new side to read then.
He continues to leave his eyes closed. Not wanting to lose it right away. The silence. The feeling of....
He darts up.
No not home.

Phil turns his head and looks at the now awake boy. Panic written on the boys face. Scared.

"I- I fucking- "
The eyes growing glassy the entire body crumbling.
Then the boy falls. Back into the pillows. A light sob escapes his lips.
Phil stays silent. Let's the boy calm down. Have his privacy. Going back to reading the book. Slower now. And always watching the boy.

Wilbur feels miserable. He failed at his only purpose of life. Fucking failed.
How can he be so stupid. Maybe Tommy is right. They can help him. Perhaps they won't fail like he did.
A sob escapes his lips. Some tears falling down. He feels cold. Fucking cold. So cold.
He steals a small glance back to Phil. Back to reading the book but at the same time watching him worried.
Is Tommy right?
This question can bother him later. The coldness shaking his entire body. Would be mind?
Maybe.
But the desire is strong.
Feeling like before. Like he is small again. Young. Innocent. For a bit. Not long...

Wilbur turns around and wraps his arms around the man next to him. Nestle into the other graving for the desire of forgetting.
It doesn't work.
But he feels calmer. Not alone. Warm.
A small sob.
The book is put away and an arm is holding him near. Protecting. The other hand is playing with his hair. No questions. No talking. Just silence.
Like he is accepted without even having to prove something or say or explain. Just a silent:
It's alright.

Shaking Wilbur takes a deep breath in. One word hunting his mind. One question from Phil...
Why?

"I couldn't protect him. I failed. I... Am weak... I was supposed to protect him and-"
A sob ends his sentence.
"You did your best... You did protect him... But now we would like to help you protect him... we will protect him for you... We will protect you both."
Wilbur nestles even more in. He understands. His body feeling tired. His mind tired.
After all this year's he feels again how he feels.
Suddenly he is tired. Wilbur feels like he is half dead. No energy to do something. Answer. Just laying there.
After all this year's he can finally rest. Tommy is save.
Blackness welcomes him.