xxiii. coup de foudre

Start from the beginning

"Look behind his ear."

The Ember did what she was instructed by Mrs. Yukimura and tilted Stiles' head. She heaved a huge sigh of relief when she saw the number 5 backwards behind his ear, "it worked," she announced to everyone as she tried to get him to stop trembling.

"So," Stiles tried to sit up from the floor, "I'm actually me?"

"More you than the nogitsune," Mrs. Yukimura deadpanned, unfazed as she watched him struggle to sit up.

"Can the oni find him?"

"Tomorrow night. It's too close to dawn now."

Stiles clenched his jaw in frustration, "can they kill him?"

"It depends on how strong he is."

"What about Lydia," Scott spoke up to ask from his place next to Odessa, "why would he take her?"

"He would only take her for an advantage," Mrs. Yukimura shared, sparing a small glance to the blonde in the room.

"You mean her power?"

"The power of a Banshee," Kira's Mother stepped forward, her eyes now prominent on Odessa, who still had her hold on Stiles to try and warm him up, and furrowed her brow at the newfound attention the woman had given her, "though, I am surprised he didn't take you," her statement alerted everyone in the room.

"What do you mean," Odessa asked, her heart dropping to her stomach. Her grip tightened on Stiles when she heard his breath falter at Mrs. Yukimura's words.

"With his attraction toward you and your powers, it amazes me he chose the Banshee over the Ember," the woman vaguely answered, her words not processing in Odessa's mind, "I guess we'll never know."

Her alarming words rang through the air as she took her leave, her daughter right behind her. Though everyone else in the room was lost at the sudden information, Odessa couldn't help but go back to the theory she had in her head from the night at the Animal Clinic. She and the nogitsune were two completely different beings with completely different powers. Whether he would take her for her power or simply her as a whole would be uncommon knowledge—but it would stay in the back of Odessa's mind for a while.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

The Sun had started to come out by the time Odessa, Stiles and Scott arrived at the station. The three not only had to reunite Stiles with his Dad, but fill the man in on what had happened hours before with Lydia's abduction.

The two boys didn't bring attention to Mrs. Yukimura's words directed toward Odessa in their time together. Just the topic of Void and what he had caused was already a sore subject. Bringing another element, like his infatuation with Odessa, would spark new questions no one had the strength to try and answer.

Odessa on the other hand, decided she wasn't going to think much of it. She knew of Void's particular interest of hers, and it wasn't a main priority back then and it still wasn't now. Her main focus that's been the same for the past weeks has been to help her friends and to now save Stiles.

The Stone walked behind the two boys through the station as she heard Stilinski mutter to himself, "ah, if I could just find my keys."