xii. the ember wolf

chapter twelvethe ember wolf

chapter twelve
the ember wolf

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

THE TICKING of the clock on the wall of the Animal Clinic echoed through Odessa Stone's head. They had been in those tubs for a long time, coming onto the 16 hour mark. Odessa never left the Clinic, only going to the bathroom to change into fresh clothes that Lydia lent her. And even though Isaac had been nice enough to go out and get food for everyone, the blonde had barely eaten half of it.

Odessa was a nervous wreck. Only now coming to terms with calming people by her touch, she had no idea the repercussions of this new found ability. Before a few weeks ago, she didn't even know she held such power. The girl wondered if she made the right decision when telling Deaton to wait to tell her what she was. A part of her wondered if knowing sooner rather than later would benefit her in helping her friends. But she knew they were in too deep in stopping Ms. Blake and her sacrifices to start diving into what she was.

The sound of gasping and water splashing made the Stone and everyone else in the room turn their full attention to the three tubs in front of them. The four dry people in the room watched the three soaking wet start blurting out words.

"I saw it," Scott panted, "I know where it is!"

Stiles nodded, slowly getting out of the tub, "we passed it. There's—there's this stump, this huge tree. Well, it's not huge anymore. It was cut down. But it's still big, though, very big."

"It was the night we were looking for the body."

"Yeah, the same night you were hit by Peter."

"I was there too, in the car with my Mother," Allison interjected, her voice shaking due to the cold, "we almost hit someone."

Scott's eyes widened toward the brunette girl, "it was me. You almost hit me," he turned to the others, "we can find it."

It was silent for a moment, only the sounds of the three's heavy breathing, before Stiles broke it. He looked toward Odessa with furrowed brows, "wait, Odie, why do you have different clothes on?"

The blonde looked down with pursed lips as Isaac spoke from next to her, "you guys were out a long time."

"How long is a long time?"

"16 hours," Odessa answered the hazel eyed boy, who gaped in disbelief alongside his friends next to him.

The McCall looked toward his boss, "we've been in the water for 16 hours?"