Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One: Truly Hurtful WordsRiver Jenkins

River Jenkins

I wake up the next day by the sounds of footsteps coming up the wooden staircase. The footsteps were fast and loud as they ascended the staircase, telling me that the person was maybe angry, or they were in a hurry to get upstairs.

I open my eyes when I didn't feel Duke lying beside me on the bed.

I frown, looking at my surroundings.

This wasn't my room.

Beige coloured walls with the paint chipping around the edges, there was a wooden desk in the corner of the room alongside a wooden dresser, the butterfly cage Sophia worked on just last week resting on top of the wooden desk and there were photographs on the walls of Sophia and her grandmother, and a photograph of Daniel resting on the nightstand beside me.

This was Sophia's room.

My frown only deepens.

How the hell did I manage to end up here?

My room was messy compared to hers. There weren't any worn shirts laying around, or even pairs of shoes lying all over just waiting to be put together with the right pairs... Her room was clean and organised, and it smelled like roses, or was that the daisies I smelled coming from inside the butterfly's cage?

I don't even remember how I got here in the first place. The only thing I remember was Myles trying to get me out of drinking in his bar yesterday.

I didn't want Sophia to ask me what was wrong when she would see me at school, so I skipped and went to Myles' bar instead while at the same time trying to avoid my aunt and my uncle as they tried to talk to me. I didn't have contact with anyone but Myles at all yesterday, not even Sophia after I went home to the bad news that awaited, so how the hell did I end up in her room?

The door to Sophia's room finally opens and Sophia enters with a silver metal tray in her hands. On the tray there was a cup of steaming hot coffee and a plate of scrambled eggs, bacon and two brown pieces of toast resting on the plate.

"Morning." She smiles when she notices that I was awake, wondering how the hell I got here in the first place.

I wince when her voice sounds too loud echoing throughout the entire room, the sound pierces through my ears, causing the headache I woke up with to worsen.

"What happened?" I ask, groaning. I then swallow to get rid of my dry throat. "I don't remember ending up here yesterday."

"You drank a shitload of alcohol at Myles yesterday," she explains, walking over to the bed so she could place the plate of breakfast onto the nightstand, "you have a hangover right now. A bad one too by the looks of it." Sophia then sighs. "Myles sent me a message yesterday. He asked me to pick you up from his bar because you didn't want to leave. You eventually passed out in his truck and we brought you here so your aunt won't know where you were."