Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty Four: Heart AttackSophia Crawford

Sophia Crawford

There was a harsh bite to the wind when everyone stepped outside to get a better look at the snow falling outside. It was falling down much harder and faster than it did last week, making the wind even colder than it was before.

The wind was so strong that it actually bent the trees sideways, but it didn't stop us from enjoying the snow as it fell down on top of us fast. There was a thick coating of snow covering the ground now, enough snow to cover our shoes.

The coldness of the snow pricked my bare skin like tiny needles pressing into it, but not once, it was continuous, like I was getting a tattoo, that's how cold it was outside, but it was beautiful and definitely worth the risk of getting sick.

"Wow, it is so beautiful." My grandmother says, staring at the tiny snowflakes falling down onto us in complete awe. She genuinely looked like a child in front of a Christmas tree, ready to open her gifts.

She had the biggest grin on her face when she caught a flake in her hands and watched how it dissolved in her hand.

"It really is beautiful, Jenna." River's aunt says. "And look, there's a rainbow!"

There was a rainbow sure enough, but it disappeared so fast, we could have just imagined it.

Their neighbours' children came running out of their houses too, staring at the thick snow that decided to bless us on such a cold but lovely evening. It was a miracle, the rain was pouring onto us just a few weeks ago, and now it was snowing hard, endlessly.

Children pulled on their gloves and started to make snowmen from the snow on the ground while their parents stood on the porches, smiling at their children laughing and shrieking when they started to have a snowball fight after making one half of a snowman, without the carrot of a nose and buttons for eyes.

I feel something being draped over my shoulders. I turn my head just slightly, seeing River standing beside me after he pulled a thin jacket over my shoulders.

I open my mouth to say something, anything, but no words managed to form.

"You'll get sick." He says.

"Thank you." I manage to say.

The gesture completely threw me off guard because it came from River-the guy who hates my guts, the guy who called me a stalker not long ago and the guy who doesn't even want to do an assignment with me anymore because he hates me. But I still accepted the nice gesture nonetheless and smiled at him.