Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen: Thunder And LightningSophia Crawford

Sophia Crawford

River’s boots slammed against the road behind me but even though I could hear his footsteps as if he was right behind me, he was still a few feet away from me. He was trying so hard to catch up to me, but every time he managed to get within arm’s reach, I forced my legs to work harder and faster than ever before.

“Sophia!” He yells behind me. “Stop running, dammit! You’re going to get hit.”

I tottered along the road, running unsteadily in my pair of white sandals. It didn’t really help that I had a lot to drink tonight, and one wrong step could mean my downfall, and that meant that River would catch up to me, and he would see that I was crying, and that I was a shaky mess and not from the cold.

I didn’t want him to catch up to me.

Hell, I don’t even know why he ran after me.

The rain has stopped for a while before I left the party, but the more I ran away from Ana’s house and the party overall, the heavier the air around me started to feel. It won’t be long before the rain starts to fall again, and by the looks of the lightening overhead, the rain would be here in a few minutes, if not seconds.

I felt sick to the stomach the more I ran, but I did not stop.

The unknown number has finally responded to my messages, but as I think back on what it said, I wish they didn’t respond. I wish I was still left in the dark about who messaged me. It would have been so much easier if I didn’t know, but when I felt my phone vibrating in my hand back at the party, I unlocked my phone and got the biggest shock of my life.

It was Daniel’s mother. She was the one who messaged me.

And she wants to talk, about Daniel. About the accident.

She wants me to relive that terrible nightmare all over again by talking about it.

I can’t do it again. I can’t relive that terrible nightmare again. I just can’t.

My phone weighed a ton in my hand, but I still held onto it like my life depended on it as I ran.

I force my legs to work faster right when the first of the raindrops started to fall.

I ran, and I ran, and I ran until it felt like my lungs wanted to burst. I ran, and I ran, and I ran until my legs threatened to give out from underneath me. I ran, and I ran, and I ran until I was sobbing and until my warm tears were mixing with the cold raindrops that fell onto my face.