Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty: Alcohol PoisoningRiver Jenkins

River Jenkins

I wish I could hide it, or even deny it, but the stupid smile never wanted to leave my face. I was walking home after comforting Sophia at her home when she broke down, but I still can’t get over the day we had, with all its ups and downs.

She is troubled, just like I am, and that’s why I wanted to do everything in my power to comfort her. Nobody deserves to be alone when they are going through some things, so I made sure she wasn’t, and I must admit that the talk we had somehow brought the two of us together—it’s like we share something.

We did share something: pain, loss, grief and guilt.

I didn’t just feel guilty for not being there for my family when he needed me, but I also felt guilty when I made Sophia feel even shittier than she already did.

I mean, walking with that kind of pain and guilt and grief wasn’t for sissies, but I just had to go and add to that pain by making her life absolute hell because I thought I was the only one who suffered in this world, but I was so wrong. My aunt was right when she said that I wasn’t the only one with a bad past, and if I just had listened to her at the time, I wouldn’t have made Sophia’s life hell. And to make matters worse, I still have her ring and I don’t know how I’m going to explain to her how I got it when I told her that I didn’t have it in the first place.

I felt guilty; the tightness in my chest was becoming too unbearable to feel.

I don’t have a choice but to keep the engagement ring until the right moment pops up to give it to her again, in a covert manner, like hiding it in her bag, or hiding it behind her nightstand.

“Fuck.” I shake my head, pinching the bridge of my nose out of frustration.

And what made me feel even guiltier than I already did was the fact that I could see the absolute heartbreak in her eyes when she asked me if I saw her ring that night when I found her in front of my house, and I actually smirked like an asshole at her. I smirked when she was slowly breaking down in front of me.

I truly was one heartless asshole.

I was no better than her damn mother.

Usually my feet would lead me to the barn, but tonight I decided against it and the next thing I know, I was taking off my boots before stepping into the house.

And when the door closed behind me… I felt it.

The atmosphere… It was odd.