Chapter Four

Chapter Four: Breathing RoutineSophia Crawford

Sophia Crawford

River's icy stare bore into me and his lips grew thin with anger as he stood there, close to the gym doors. He hasn't moved an inch since he locked eyes with me. Hell, I don't think he even breathed.

I didn't think it was possible to sink lower in my seat just to try and escape his piercing gaze, but I made it possible. I was practically lying in my chair beside the support group leader now and I received a few strange stares from the rest of the group too.

Luck was definitely not on my side today.

I had two classes with him. I sat close to him in lunch time (okay, fair enough, he didn't bother me at all, but being in his presence made me feel uncomfortable), and I have to attend support group knowing that the rude boy who called me 'scar face' this morning attends it too.

That makes it two classes and support group on Mondays.

What did I do to deserve this?

With the way I was feeling right now, I wanted to make a break for it.

I wanted to get up from the wooden chair, grab my bag from the floor beside my chair, and leave the gym so that I won't have to endure River's icy gaze for the entire support group session, but I stayed seated in my chair beside the support group leader instead. I have as much right to be here as he does-even though the thought of attending another session knowing that River would be here made my stomach tie into a million knots.

But then it occurred to me that River doesn't own this school and he doesn't get a say to what I can attend and what I cannot attend, so I'm staying right where I am. He can look at me with that icy stare all he wants.

I will not cower away from him nor will I be afraid of him, either.

"Ah, River," the support group leader smiles, "late as always. Please, come take a seat."

River didn't even attempt to return the smile. His lips were still flattened and his eyes were still filled with anger toward me for being here, and he actually had his bag's strap gripped in his tightly hand when made his way to an empty chair. All of that just for breathing the same air he did.

The faster we can end today's session, the better.

When River sits down across from me, I avoid his gaze by looking down at the floor. Or I tried to, at least. It was hard to avoid his gaze when he was literally sitting right across from me.

And it was kind of impossible not to feel his gaze on me when it was drilling a hole into my forehead. Not literally, of course, but it sure as hell felt like it.

I clear my throat awkwardly and focus my gaze onto the support group leader sitting beside me when he started to speak.

"Hello everyone," the support group leader says, "I am glad to see that everyone is here today. I would like you all to welcome Sophia to the group. She is new here, and to the school. Please, give her a warm welcome."