Prologue

"𝑫𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉 𝒊𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆

"𝑫𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉 𝒊𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆. 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒔 𝒊𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒅𝒊𝒆𝒔 𝒊𝒏𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒖𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒍𝒆 𝒘𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆." — 𝗡𝗢𝗥𝗠𝗔𝗡 𝗖𝗢𝗨𝗦𝗜𝗡𝗦

• • •

Prologue: The Night I Lost Everything
Sophia Crawford

 If you told me that I was about to lose my boyfriend in a terrible accident, I wouldn't have believed you. I mean, how could I? We were running to his car whilst the rain was pouring over us. If he wasn't jumping in the rainwater puddles in the sidewalks like he discovered it for the first time in his life, that is. There were no words being exchanged between the two of us, just giggles and loving looks. There was absolutely nothing to worry about, at least that was what us seventeen year olds thought. We were carefree, but most importantly, we were just... free.

We were about to start our life together, at seventeen years old, without anyone in our way. 

Not our parents. Not our friends. Absolutely no one.

There was no room for anything bad, or negative. Only happiness and positivity.

I didn't want to believe that anything bad could happen that night, because everything felt so right. But even I knew that happiness is sometimes short-lived, and tragedy is bound to happen right after.

My tragedy happened to be losing Daniel.

An accident took place that night—the night we thought nothing could possibly go wrong.

Daniel died, and that was the biggest tragedy that ever happened to me. He died in a terrible accident. It was a terrible tragedy, one that could have been prevented if it wasn't for my negligence, but wasn't, and it was a price I was now paying with regret and guilt and immense grief. I can't pay it with anything else. I wish I could have paid the price of losing him with my own life instead, but life unfortunately didn't work that way. You suffer the consequences of your own actions. You have to pay the price of making terrible mistakes. There are no redo's. There are no second chances, because Death doesn't ask questions and Death doesn't ask you if you want to go with him or not. He just takes you, or a loved one, away. Death doesn't bargain.

Death took my Daniel away from me. 

But I couldn't be angry at Death. Not when I was the one who sent him to Daniel's doorstep.

I am going to tell you about my tragedy, and how that tragedy lead to another one, and another.

It all happened one night Daniel and I decided to run away. It was a cliché, to say the least, but nothing mattered more to me than running away with the guy I loved most in the entire world. I didn't have anything else, anyways, I only had Daniel, and that was more than enough for me.