Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen: Family DisappointmentRiver Jenkins

River Jenkins

My aunt was pacing around the living room, thinking of something to say to me, but looking at how her hands were balled into fists and the glare she shot me with told me that whatever she wanted to say wasn't good at all.

"I will not tolerate that nonsense again, River." She says. "Not only were you rude to Sophia just because she asked you an innocent question, but you came here after a day of not being at home looking like you've come from a street fight, one you barely survived, might I add." She shakes her head at me.

I shrug half-heartedly.

It seemed to anger her only more. "I will not tolerate that again. You should apologize to her when you see her again." She releases a deep breath. "She simply just asked about Beck because she wanted to make conversation, not because she wanted to upset you, or pry like you said."

I scoff. "That's where you're wrong." I tell her, swiping my thumb over the corner of my lip. "She was trying to pry. She wants to figure me out."

"No, she's not."

"She's trying to figure out what happened to me and I won't let that happen."

My aunt looks just about done with me.

She throws her hand up into the air, shaking her head at me for the millionth time today. "I don't know what to say anymore..." She says, sitting back down on the couch. "You practically used her past against her because you were hurt and that is something you should never do. You don't know what happened to her and what you said to her truly upset her." My aunt sighs and tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Come on, River... You weren't raised this way. I don't recognise you anymore."

"What can I say?" I shrug, smirking. "I'm the family disappointment."

"River, that is not what-"

"It's nothing new to me." I continue. "I've been reminded of being a family disappointment my entire life. Trust me. I know I'm a disappointment," I pause, just for a few seconds, "and that my feelings don't matter anymore."

"That is not what I said." She says, looking at me with concern written across her face. "Do not twist my words around. I did not say that you are a disappointment or that your feelings don't matter. I just said that you should take other people's feelings into consideration, too. You're not the only one with a bad past, River. There are people out there who suffer too."

I lick my lips, shaking my head slowly.

"You might not have meant it in that way, but I know that you think I'm a disappointment. I can see it on your face every time I come home from a fight. You look at me wondering where everything went wrong. You look at me wondering why you had to be the one to take me in with my baggage, mood swings and everything else." I pause, taking in a deep breath. "You just feel too bad to say how disappointed you are in me directly to my face because of what happened, but trust me, I see it. I can see it very clearly. I recognise that look from anywhere."