HEARTBURST

maxie harding
[played by lucy hale]

" When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor

" When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It's to enjoy each step along the way. "

― Wayne Dyer.

―― [‧₊˚✩彡] ――

DANCING HAD ALWAYS PLAYED A HUGE ROLE IN MAXIE HARDING'S LIFE. Some may even say it helped keep her surviving through the rough blows of life. Others say it was nothing but a distraction to keep her mind off of the looming future that had always tormented her. Maxie herself would say neither ― she purely believed dancing was nothing but a fun way to spend her weekends and afternoons. 

Many people had told her she was talented; whether that was with her academics, her sports, or her dance. She never believed them, though. She was never one for receiving praise, really.

Maxie had a perfect life ― two parents happily married, a large circle of friends, large improvements in her dancing, and she had just made the U12's football team at her local club. Right up until the age of ten, she believed life couldn't get much better. Until she came home one day and her dad was gone.

Neither she nor her mother knew why he had gone, or where he had gone to, but he had taken all of his belongings and left all but a simple post-it note that read ' won't be back, i can't do this anymore, sorry ― not even having the decency to leave any rhyme or reason as to what either of them did to make him leave.

Being only ten years old, Max didn't have a clue what had happened, only that her dad was gone and not coming back. The only thing she knew to do was to dance ― so she did. She danced her feelings and emotions out until there was nothing left but anger for her father.

Dance was also what Maxie did when she had to pack up and leave her life behind to move to Canada for her mother's new work proposition. Of course, she wasn't happy about it, but what could she do? This was for her mum, after all.

Nearly three years later, Max would like to think she had finally fit in with her classmates at school and, after having auditioned for the studio, with her fellow dancers at The Next Step.

In the span of those three years, she had managed to work her way up from J-Troupe all the way up to A-Troupe and had been on the studio's elite team for at least a year.

Finding friends was hard at first, for they had already established their friendship groups amongst themselves and, obviously, it would take a while for the new girl from across the pond to remotely even fit in with them, let alone become close. So, when two boys ― one of them, James, coincidently going to the same school as her, had approached the girl with help with one of their homework questions, an unlikely friendship was formed between the three.

So, when the time rolled around to re-audition for A-Troupe, Maxie felt somewhat settled in her new life and was ready to see what the new dance season would bring.

―― [‧₊˚✩彡] ――

A/N

oh my lord i've finally edited it. I'm still not satisfied with the outcome but it's still pretty good ig.