Chapter Twenty Seven : She Used To Be Mine

Start from the beginning

"The cold..." She lies. "It makes my eyes water." I let out a sad chuckle. Some of her makeup has smudged around her eyes but she is fixing it with her fingertips.

"I love you, Mom." She places her hand onto my cheek with a grateful smile.

"I love you honey. Thank you." I nudge my face further into it and then she picks up her glass of wine, finishing it. It's only just now hit me that she's probably emotional because of the amount of drinks she's had.

"We should turn in for the night." I stand, helping her to her feet. I wrap my large arm around her as we walk back inside.

Squeezing through the narrow doorway, she trips up on a step and we both let out a series of laughs together. Looking up, our laughter fades away as Dad is stood in front of us with a confused look on his face.

"Is everything alright?" He questions, his frowns curling in shape. Mom clears her throat and straightens up beside me.

"Perfectly fine." She puts on a smile. He nods in return, still with the same amount of uncertainty.

I lead us both away and to her room before saying goodnight to her. I get into the elevator, heading up to my floor to go back to where I'm staying. I let myself in and drop back on the mattress that has absolutely nothing on my bed back home. I take my phone out of my pocket and dial Isabelle's number. The phone rings as I wait patiently. It continues to ring and I continue to wait.

"Hey!" Her voice perks up down the line.

"Hi, how-."

"Just kidding, this is my voicemail. Leave a message."  I look over and check the time, trying to guess what she would be doing at eleven o'clock to not answer her phone.

"Hey." I speak after hearing the tone. "I thought I'd call and see how you were but... I guess not." I let out a breathy laugh. "If you're around, call me back." I pause. "I miss you."

I hang up and drop the phone onto the bed. I lay still, staring at it for another five minutes waiting for it to chime or ring in response but it doesn't.

**

Isabelle

"I like your new hair. Princess."

My throat constricts and the hair on my arms prick up. With my jaw clenched, I slowly turn around to stare up at a pair of cold, glaring and familiar set of eyes.

"Missed me?" He tilts his head, the low light catching the ends of his dark blonde spikes of hair. Now that he's here in front of me, he seems taller than I remember, bigger and stronger too.

"I can't say I have." I challenge his unforgiving eyes and dig my feet into the floor beneath me, my hands tight to my side.

He takes a forceful step towards me and all of the courage and strength I thought I had washes out of me. I've never felt so weak, not since the day I left him.

"I think we should talk." He spits, his round face twisting with menace. I knew that if he ever found me, part of him would be pleased and smug. But I also knew he'd be angrier than imaginable because I left in the first place.

"I don't." I decide to make my move and attempt to step away but he clasps a heavy hand around my arm, catching me. I feel like I could vomit on the spot.

"I disagree." He hisses into my ear. Quickly and nervously, my eyes flicker over to Sam and Violet, hoping they don't see me. I also hope that he doesn't see them.

"Fine." I answer after checking I've not been noticed by either of them. "But not here."

He finally looses his tight grip on me, leading the way. The bartender offers me a slight nod and I give him my most convincing smile as I pass by, ignoring the lump in my throat, the sweat on my skin and the feeling of raging wasps inside my stomach.