Prologue: Systems On!

(AN: Play the song on the top for better experience ▼・ᴥ・▼)

(P.S. if it only shows white, just press the middle)

"Shizumu you ni tokete yuku you ni~"

(Just like I'm about to sink, just like I'm about to melt)

"Futaridake no sora ga hirogaru yoru ni~"

(Only the two of us at that night on the vast sky)

A piano solo was playing energetically on the background as I slowly opened my eyes, immediately taking notice of my own surroundings. I feel like....

Like I'm floating. Which I was, in a middle of a room with nothing but endless darkness.

My first reaction was to ask questions, but I can't seem to move my mouth, or any part of my body at that matter. Only the song was reverberating throughout the empty room as if I was inside a music studio.

' I.....I don't remember anything.....why am I here? Who am I? What's the meaning of life? Lmao okay wait back to the situation at hand. '

Looking around once more, I noticed some slight changes. First, it wasn't as dark as before, it's like someone opened a light so far away that I can only see so much. Apart from that, nothing really important appeared.

' Maybe I have to wait? I'd love to, but I want to get out of here. And fast. I may not remember anything, but I know that even my past self don't like being trapped in a place where I'm not familiar with. '

Narrowing my eyes, I desperately squirmed my way out of the predicament I was in. I'm not really floating...I think. I might just being bind by chains mid air...or maybe was I forced to ingest some kind of drug....that's some good shit if I'm this delirious.

"Heh. Even with amnesia, you still wouldn't drop the detective thinking."

Instantly on guard, my eyes looked around, frantically trying to find the source of the voice.

Even though I can't move much, I felt was slowly being let down by another force. That force being the one that spoke to me earlier......I think.

"Who are you and why am I here?"

I asked, highly suspicious of the being before me. Just like in a steam punk era, the being's body was made of different mechanisms and motors inside...as if it's insides were clockwork, instead of wires and electric ports that's being covered with a tattered white cloth. It's face was metal, long nose and chin with two, slightly enlarged slits with golden clocks inside them, as if it was acting as his eyes. Sitting on a throne looking down on me, he wore an old rusty crown that looked like it was there since the beginning of time itself.

The being chuckled, it's metal gears slightly shifting and emitting spurts of smoke from the gaps on it's body.

"I am Deus ex Machina, God of time and space. Do not worry for I am not a foe. I do not intend to hurt you, Miss Detective."

He said, looking at me with an amused gaze which I returned with a glare.

A Deus ex Machina huh?

Why am I being worked up this much, you ask?

A Deus ex Machina is a metaphorical term for a clockwork God. The only God who can be controlled. And if I'm right, there must be someone else controlling this situation from the shadows. An old saying, a metaphorical belief but I don't let anything past me. Not even the smallest detail. Although I don't know how I remembered that, but I surprisingly did.