The Back Of The Station Wagon

I wake up with Demi's weight off my lap so I stand. I hear a lot of noise in the kitchen and everyone shouts good morning. I just wave them off and find my way to my seat. A few minutes go by before my chair is pulled away from the island I'm sitting at where Monica is making breakfast. The person stands between my legs and kisses me on the lips quickly to avoid drawing attention.

"Good morning, Demi." I say smiling against her lips.

"Good morning to you too Natalie." She smiles back.

"Lovebirds. Should I make some for you or are you two just going to eat each other instead?" Monica asks with a smile in her voice.

"I may not be able to see but I can still kick your ass momo!" I retort.

Everyone but Nate and Jenny are here because they are the ones that have to work. Everyone was socializing, teasing each other and the food came out. There 'weren't enough seats' Demi lied so she sat on me and ate her breakfast. Smooth, Dems.

After everyone ate we tried deciding what to do. It was decided that Six flags was the place to go. I love roller coasters. Not. Let's put this into a simple math equation. Fear of hights+high metal contraption x speed=holy shit get me off this fucking ride.

We lived a little while away but since we planned to be there until it closed we weren't in that much of a rush. We all took Katia's car because she has a station wagon. Katia and Monica were in the front. Dylan and Aiden sat in the back and Demi and I were all the way in the back, facing the back window. I was laying down, my head on her leg as she stroked my hair. Every row seemed to have a different conversation, Katia and Monica were talking about who was a better driver, Dylan and Aiden were debating over who would win in a fight and Demi and I were talking about where ever the conversation brought us. It was currently seeing. My favorite.

"So, your saying it's actually better to be blind?" Demi asks in disbelief.

"To engage in regular life, no. I can't even play Yahtzee without suspecting someone is cheating. But for the mind and heart it is. Bullying is a problem. But not being able to see eliminates looks, so everyone is boy or girl. Love is blinding. But if your blind, then doesn't a double negative equal a positive? Everyone worries about time, but day and night are one to me. Money is important to people. To buy every fancy shmancy thing they desire, but if you can't see it anyway, does it matter. Everyone tries to be better than each other. Best partner, best clothes, fanciest house and furniture etcetera, but blindness eliminates that need, it humbles you. Racism, bad right? Well, everyone is one race to me."

"And what race is that?"

"Human."

"I never thought of it like that."

"Well, I have a lot more time to think, being unable to see takes me out of a lot of activities. But that's why I believe in an eye for an eye." I pause to carefully place my next words before continuing." An eye for an eye creates more blindness. If everyone was blind, everyone would get along. The constant need to be different and categorize things is eliminated. We may all be the same to eachother, but our minds would be more diverse than they already are. No one would judge others until they've talked to them. And by then they'd probably know the other person off of what they are on the inside instead of their shell."

"Like a snail." Demi comments.

We both laugh hysterically. My face was probably red from the lack of oxygen. We were so loud that the rest of the car went silent.

"You ok back there?" Dylan asks, a smile in his voice. I noticed a while ago that he's happiest whenever I'm over the moon. It's simple, but it's one of the reasons I will always love him.

There is one kind of love. Love is not, oh it's in a friendly or family or lover way. It's when you can't describe it besides the definition in the dictionary. You know why? Because love isn't a thing. It's like air, you can't see it, you can't feel it , can't smell it, touch it, or hear it. You just know it's there.

"Snail!" Demi yells, gasping for air.

"You girls are Crazy."

Eventually we both calm down enough and I sit up to sit on the other side of Demi but keeping my legs where I was.

"Your trapped now. My legs have locked you in you're not going anywhere." I joked

"Good thing I wasn't planning on leaving just yet isn't it then?" She said, holding me closer to her.

"Very. I don't want you to leave."

"What's so great about seeing?" I ask

"Well, how am I supposed to follow what you said and not be obvious?"
"I don't know, be clever."

"Well, seeing allows you to see and prepare for what ahead, or give you pleasant surprises. Of course seeing doesn't matter if you don't have vision enough to use it properly. But it can create memories that last a lifetime. Allows you to know the world in color, other than in voice. I know now that you need both to really get the whole sha bang but, without one the other is all you know."

"How hard was that." I exclaim. "Very good."

"What was so great about that?"she asks

"You're starting to understand how to fool everyone with your words, yet tell the complete truth. It takes practice, I should know. It's what I do."

"I'm confused Nat, just tell me."

"You sound like you've seen everything there is to see but in reality you've had your eyes closed the entire time."
----------------------------------------------I decided that I wanted to focus on Natalie's perspective of things she know nothing about this chapter. It's something she would do:) vote and comment.
Questions:

What is your favorite line of this chapter?

If one of these characters could be pulled from the story and into your life who would it be? (exclude Demi)

Do you have any questions for me?