Fast and Furious

Apparently, I do fall asleep, because I wake up to someone's voice tickling my ear.

"Wakey, wakey."

"Jenny, go away." I groan

"Oh so you don't want your favorite person in the world, DEMI, to serve you breakfast."

"Dems, you made me breakfast? You really didn't have to."

"I wanted to." Demi said, putting a tray in front of me. I felt for a fork and poked what was on the tray but only heard the sound of glass.

"Natalie, you just put your fork into your orange juice." Demi giggled. I frowned and dried it off on the paper towel before succeeding in stabbing pancakes. They were actually really good. I was surprised because she failed at making the microwave Mac n' cheese a few days ago.

I feel the bed sink and hear another tray being placed down. Demi sits across from me like we were at a table.

"What is something you want to do, even if you can't see and your other friends won't let you do?" Demi asks breaking the long moments of just us eating.

"Drive." I say. I've always been bummed about not driving. Everyone got their cars and there I was. Alone, with no wheels of any form, and blind. It may seem like I focus on not having eyes, but who wouldn't. When so many simple tasks require them and you can't use them, it's your number one reason.

"Good to know. Done?" She asks, standing up and removing her tray.

"Yeah. Thank you. " I say chugging my orange juice and wincing at the sweetness.

"Good. Get your ass up and take a shower. We're going somewhere." Demi says lifting the tray off my lap.

I got up and went to my large dresser.

"1....2" I counted out loud to myself. I opened the droor and pull out the first pair of jeans I felt. Then I went another droor down and got a t-shirt. Then I went to the little dresser and got my undergarments.

After my shower, I dressed myself and when I came out of my bedroom, Demi grabbed my hand and dragged me outside.

"Where are we going?" I asked as the car vibrated quietly.

"On an adventure." She stated soothingly with a smile in her voice. Her fingers intertwine with mine and I play with them. It's a nice day. No rain, it's hot, and I'm with her. I can just imagine the sunshine reflecting off her light skin as she smiles at me. It's a wonderful sight, but that only happens behind my eyes.

"Ok, we're here." Demi says as she stops the car. I open the door and get out, letting go of Demi's soft hands.

I hear Demi's door shut and she grabs my forearm.

"What are you doing?" I ask, slightly concerned by her lack of words.

"Making a wish come true."

"Are you a hetman?"

"No, your wish. I'm helping you learn to drive." She says with a smile evident in her voice.

"This foot.." She says patting my left foot. "Controls the brake petal. The other controls the gas. "

Demi had told me we were in the parking lot of a old factory that went out of business. Everything is gone. The town that used to be a busy place, now only has a few hundred people. The factory used to process some kind of drug, but it was made illegal and then everyone left.

Demi was crouching outside the car with the door open to show me the basics. I sat in the drivers seat. With my hands on the wheel and my feet just ablove the petals.

"If you press this, a horn will sound like so." She huffs before reaching over and pressing the part of the wheel between my hands. I loud horn sound filled my ears and I jumped. She laughs quietly before shutting the door.

"Demi?" I say into oblivion.

The passenger door opens and the seat squeaks under her as she shifts in it.

"Right here babe." She says kissing my cheek.

She took a deep breath before taking my right hand and turning a key. The engine roared to life and I smiled. I was fascinated I was on the left side, rather than the left. I genuinely smiled and Demi laughed. She understood, but at the same time she doesn't. I can't explain it and I'm sure she can't either. But that key unlocked the engine. Maybe it unlocked something else that we haven't discovered yet. Demi continues with my right hand and closing it over a stick.

"Your on park. Go up one and left to get to the next level the order of the levels is park, neutral, 1 wheel, 2 wheel,3 wheel, all wheel. I'll help you with this along the way."

"Oh and one more thing." She takes my hand and guides it to a switch. She holds my index finger back and a strange clicking sound comes followed by a battery like sound.

"What was that?" I ask.

"You'll feel it. Then you'll get it. Now, drive. " she says mischievously.

I press the gas but I keep getting scared and stopping. I don't want to kill us, I don't know how fast we're going, so this could be a mayor problem.

"Sweetie, you have to continuously press it. Your giving me whiplash over here."Demi laughs.

"So-sorry." I say nervously.

"It's ok. Trust me." Her hand goes over mine on the stick shift I think she called it. I had a sudden boost of confidence and pressed the gas without letting go.

"That's it." Demi cheered on.

I continued inching forward until it wouldn't go down anymore. Demi laughed and shouted. Then I realized my hair was blowing all over the place. That switched Demi had me hold back was for the roof. I'm driving a convertible at at least 100 mph. And I can't see a thing.

"WOO!!" She yelled into the air.

Demi held my hand in the air and I heard her stand from her seat for a moment and just giggle and cheer me on. She yelled 'faster, faster. Petal to the metal baby!' I couldn't go any faster and even if I could I wouldn't. I don't want to hurt anyone but I know why she feels so daring. We're free. No one is on our ass and we are making our own decisions. It's an 'us agains the world, unstoppable' kind of feeling.

Then Demi sits and my nerves calm a little.

"Turn left." She says over the wind.

I jerk left and I get insanely worried, I can already feel the tail of the car fly away from the rest of the car and the wheels complain. When the car collects itself, it obeys my command to drive forward again. Demi and I were laughing and having a good time. Until the front wheels went up and the sound of brush against the car fills my ears. The car tilts and rattles. I slam on the brakes and eventually the car slows. The back wheels higher than the front. There is a quite moment. Then Demi bursts into laughter.

"What was that? What happened?" I panic

"You hit a curb protecting a floral area. You took down some bushes too."

"What happened to not letting me take dangerous risks?"

"Did you enjoy yourself? Did I not take precautions?" She questions

"Well yes but-" she interrupts my sentence before I can finish.

"Then wasn't the risk worth taking?"

It was. I'd just had the best time of my entire life. My world is black, or it was. But she gave me color. Something so rich that I don't know what to do or think for the first time. And I bask in it like I would in sunlight. It's official...

She is my sunshine.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hey, I loved writing this, I hope you loved reading it. Vote and comment if you like. Byyyeeee!