Chapter Seventy-Four.

Start from the beginning

But the vibrating noise and feeling came a second time, and I continued to blink, slowly patting my hands up and down my jacket until I found the zipper, pulling it down and reaching a hand inside.

It was almost as if I’d forgotten that there was a pocket inside my jacket, despite the fact that I’d worn it so many times. I’d taken to always hiding my phone inside there since I’d been with Zacky, so that I wasn’t at risk of anyone taking it and seeing any of our text conversations. Obviously, Ronnie hadn’t thought to check for my phone.

The buzzing came to a stop just as I reached a hand into the pocket and pulled my phone out, and my eyes widened at the amount of missed calls and texts I had from everyone—especially Zacky. Every text I’d received contained the same type of message; “Where are you? You just disappeared. We’re worried. Please get in contact with us”.

My mouth dropped open as I clicked the reply button, but the screen lit up again with another call; from Zacky.

Quickly sliding the arrow across at the bottom of the screen to answer the call, I held the phone to my ear, anxiously whipping my head around in every direction before I even dared to speak.

“Hello?” I whispered, my voice barely coming out. A sigh of relief came from the other end.

“Midge?” Zacky’s frantic, worried voice spoke. “Where the fuck are you? What are you playing at? What’s going on?!”

Wincing at the volume of his voice, I could help but notice how furious his tone was. It honestly did nothing to help the way I was feeling.

“I don’t know.” I replied, my voice cracking. “I don’t know the answer to any of those questions. I’m in some house with Ronnie.”

He paused. “...You went off with Ronnie? Why?”

No!” I exclaimed a little too loudly, immediately making a note to lower my voice. “I...I don’t really remember what happened. I don’t know how I got here, but I’m scared and I wanna come home.”

There was no way of controlling my tears as the last bit of the sentence left my lips, and I choked out an all-too-loud sob, my hand shaking as I raised it to wipe my eyes.

There appeared to be complete silence for what seemed to be ages, and I was beginning to think Zacky had cut off, but he suddenly spoke again, his even angrier tone shocking me slightly.

“I’ll fucking kill him.” He spat, his words making it clear that his jaw was clenched. “I swear to God. I’ll come find you, baby. Where are you?”

“I...” I blinked. “I don’t know. He said Long Beach...I think?”

Again, he paused. “Do you know where? This is really important, baby. I need to find you.”

Chewing my nail, I stared around again, my eyes finally catching the window. I quickly walked over, squinting at the light and trying my absolute hardest to see through the blur of my mind, over at the sign on the other side of the road.

“There’s a sign...” I murmured, narrowing my eyes. “I can’t read it...”

Try, baby.”

“I am trying.” I snapped, triggering tears again.

Zacky sighed as I continued to squint. Every part of me seemed to be shaking, but just staring seemed to be working, as it became the slightest bit clearer.

“Uh...Victory Avenue...that’s what it says.” I blurted out, yanking a hand through my hair.

“You’re sure?!” He demanded.

I whimpered a little. “Yes. It definitely says Victory Avenue.”

“Right. Well I’ll—‘’

The rest of his sentence became a complete blur as I sucked in a surprised breath, realising I’d totally forgotten that I was supposed to be speaking quietly. The lock on the door turned again, and it pushed open. Ronnie appeared in the doorway with a tray of food, looking up.

“I wasn’t sure what you wanted to eat, so I—‘’ His words cut off as he stared from my face to the phone in my hand, and his jaw firmly clenched. “Midge.”

“Midge, are you still there?” Zacky’s voice spoke.

Shakily trying to back away from Ronnie, I clutched the phone tighter, accidentally hitting the loudspeaker button.

Midgey?” Zacky spoke again, his voice now echoing through the room.

Not knowing what to do only made me freak out even more. I wasn’t sure who to respond to, but either way, Ronnie wasn’t going to be happy.

“Drop the phone. Now.” Ronnie loudly demanded.

The swearing that came from the phone made it clear that Zacky had heard, and a slanging match suddenly broke out between the two of them.

“Let her go, Radke. You want someone to take your pathetic little issues out on? Come get me.” Zacky yelled.

“Don’t tempt me, Baker.” Ronnie growled back. “I’ve got who I want, thanks. Now fuck off. Midge, come with me.”

I had no chance to do anything but scream, as the phone was yanked out of my hand and I was pushed to the floor. Zacky yelled something again, but it was unclear what, as Ronnie’s hand was covering the speaker at the bottom of the phone, muffling his voice.

But Zacky’s last sentence was very clear both to us, as it sent alarm coursing through Ronnie. Every word was loud and clear, and it gave me the slightest bit of hope.

“I know where you are, Radke.” He said. “I’m sending the cops after you. And I’m coming to get you myself.”

And then Ronnie cut off, and yanked me up, out of the room.