Chapter Seventy-Four.

Start from the beginning

“Straight to the point, as always.” He gave a laugh, perching himself down on a chair in the corner that I’d not even noticed. “You’re too adorable, Midge.”

I narrowed my eyes. “Just tell me!”

Fine!” He rolled his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest. “We’re back in Long Beach, not far from the party that we went to that time. Remember that night?”

Of course I did. That night was one I wanted to completely forget, and Ronnie obviously knew this, as he smirked at me.

“This is just a friend’s house I’m borrowing.” He continued to explain. “You see, Midgey, I’ve never been as stupid as you thought I was. I knew all along that you were just using me for your own needs and the fact that you weren’t willing to put out was pathetic. I don’t like being used, Midge. I’m not the type of guy to just brush it off.”

“...So?”

He leant forward threateningly, at which I jerked back again. “So when that fucking fire didn’t kill you or harm you in the slightest, I knew I had to do something else. And I thought...what would be better than taking her away from that precious family of hers?” He paused then. “Nothing would, Midge. Nothing. Because not only do you get hurt, but they do, too.”

It was all appearing to be way too much to take in, as I stared around the room again, completely overwhelmed. Ronnie’s eyes stayed on me, and I shifted under his gaze, licking my lips.

“You don’t think this is all a bit of an overreaction?” I inquired, staring back at him. “I wouldn’t have sex with you so you’ve kidnapped me? You need your fucking head tested.”

Inside my head, I cringed at how snappy and rude I was being, knowing I was doing myself no favours. It was one thing I’d always hated about myself—being too brave to speak out and be confrontational at the worst of times.

However, Ronnie being his unpredictable self, only threw his head back and let out a loud, hysterical laugh. I narrowed my eyes back at him, and as soon as he’d calmed himself down, he leant down and gently tapped my nose.

You are too funny.” He stated, retracting his hand and shoving it into his pocket. “But joking aside, are you hungry? I gotta keep you all healthy and shit so that you’re strong enough to run again if we need to.”

“No.”

“Yeah...” He tilted his head. “I don’t really know why I just asked you that, because I’m not actually giving you a choice. You’re eating whether you like it or not. I’ll be back soon.”

My jaw clenched again as he turned away from me and walked back over to the door, yanking it open and stopping in his tracks as he turned to look at me once more.

“Oh, Midge?” He said, his face mostly serious, though his smirk was pulling at his lips again. “Don’t even try to go anywhere. Because I’ll know. And it’s either you or Baker. I could easily go round there and kill him right now, and I’m not scared to do so.”

Giving me no chance to reply, he then walked out of the room and firmly shut the door, the lock being turned only seconds later. I exhaled deeply, dragging a hand slowly over my face, and proceeded to stand up carefully, cautious of not hurting my head more than it already was.

It seemed that when I was on my feet, I was unsure of what to do next. I was just cluelessly stood on the mattress, my body swaying ever so slightly and my eyes scanning the room.

I was literally jolted out of my thoughts when I heard a buzzing sound, and also felt it against my chest. I blinked in surprise, having not expected it at all, and stared down at my jacket as if it was what had made the noise.