3. Adventure is out there...over the stone fence

The fairy sat comfortably on top of the younger sibling Sez's shoulder. She shuddered when Sez habitually picked his nose as he and his older siblings stood right across the inviting forest. Sez flicked a tiny booger away that made the fairy almost faint on her spot. Separated between the children and the forest was the stone fence short enough for all three children to climb over the obstacle and start their journey.

But the three of them waited to see who would go first. Would it be Bea, the oldest child and sole responsible for her younger siblings? Or the courageous middle child Ali who would protect them? Or maybe Sez, the fearless yet spoiled youngster of the bunch?

Neither moved but a red lacewing butterfly fluttered over the stone fence to the forest.

The sun rays glazed over the forest which brought all sorts of critters to life. It was still early in the morning. The morning dew glimmered from the sun, the birds chirping an early breakfast, the wind brushing through the trees. How hard was dropping off a fairy back to her home? Bea thought it would be easy like how the children's Yaya attended her shopping errands to the market. It took around two or three hours to return. Sometimes, she would be late if she lingered and caught up with the latest chismis happening in the neighborhood. So if they don't get distracted in the forest or don't get lost, everything will be good. They would be in time for afternoon merienda.

The fairy squeaked impatiently and pointed to the trees, surprising Sez almost forgetting about the young creature perched on his shoulder.

"Oh, alright," Bea started. She faced the fairy. "Nothing bad's going to happen to us?"

The fairy shook her head no. With a finger, she crossed a sign over her heart and squeaked. She crossed her wrists together then pulled them apart. Safe.

"Let's go! Let's go!" Ali said excitedly. He leapt to take a step over the stone fence with Sez following behind him. "This is going to be an adventure!"

Bea turned around to their provincial home before climbing over the stone fence. The only ones in the house were their Yaya and their Lolo while Mama and Papa were out in the field with several workers. Lolo was still sleeping in his room, but before the children left, Bea stashed some potato chips, three water bottles, and leftover hotdogs and eggs into her backpack. She also wrote a short note and stuck a red A-letter magnet onto the kitchen refrigerator saying, "We'll be back before merienda. We have to drop off a fairy back to her home!"

Lolo chuckled as Yaya read the odd note to him.

"But Mang Jose! We have to find the children! What if something happens to them?!" Yaya Rosa panicked. She bawled her fists against her temples, paced back and forth, mumbling tragic scenes of the children to herself.

Lolo gently smiled, making his wrinkles shrink and his face and silver hair glowing. "Hayaan mo sila. Let them be. It's a good opportunity for them to make some new friends and adventures. I'm sure they'll be fine." 

"Jusku! I hope you're right Mang Jose! Oh my! Oh my!" Yaya Rosa shook her head as she left Lolo in his room. 

On his nightstand, Lolo saw a fresh sampaguita flower and the shiniest mango he had ever seen. He already knew who had visited him. It was too bad that he missed them. The last time he had seen them was over twenty years ago. He did a sign of the cross and prayed for his grandchildren's safety.

613 words

2188 words total

February 27, 2021