My smile faltered a bit. I knew all too well what this would be about.  

My mate. 

"Well, I—" my sentence was cut off by him. 

"I thought about your will of going for a mate hunt." He said. "Although, I was completely against it a few days ago, I am willing to give it a second thought." 

My facial expressions must have expressed my surprise well, as he continued. "If I think about it in a practical manner, it is rather revolutionary to send a woman for a mate hunt. If we play our cards right, we can make it seem like we're a progressive pack." 

The situation made much more sense to me. He wanted me to give my responsibilities to Sabrina and leave for Mate hunt as soon as possible, so that I could find my mate before turning 21. 

The situation is not at all in my favour. I don't want to let Sabrina take even an iota of credit for my hard work, especially when I know I'd never find my mate in the mate hunt.

"Father, have you heard of Alpha Malcolm?"

"What do you mean, of course I have. He's one of the few Alphas stronger than us in North America." 

"Yes, but have you heard about his mate?"

He was silent for a second before he replied,"Didn't he lose her recently?" 

"Yeah, she unfortunately died of tuberculosis last year." 

"Why are you talking about Alpha Malcolm right now?"

I paused for a bit. "Alpha Malcolm doesn't have a child or a mate anymore. Sooner or later, he'd be required to marry someone for an heir. I was wondering if I should mate him." 

My father's eyebrows shot up in surprise. 

"You are willing to give up a shot with your true mate, to mate with Alpha Malcolm?" 

"As you said, he's extremely powerful." I said. "Hasn't the idea of my mate being an Alpha always been of utmost interest to you. It's justified because when two packs form a co-alliance, their strengths add up while their weaknesses tend to cancel each other out." 

My father took a deep breath and pondered over it for sometime. "It's a good decision if we look at it from the perspective of business. But it will be very painful and emotionally damaging for you. Do you think you are ready for that? You won't be able to undo the marriage if you meet your mate after marrying Alpha Malcolm." 

I felt a jab in my heart and pain over my chest for some reason. The emotional damage he talked about, had already been made. I couldn't let myself waste away in it though. 

"I'll manage, father. My pack comes first. Always." 

He slowly nodded and drummed the table with his fingers, an action he always does when in deep thought. 

"I will give you tonight to think about it one last time, before I talk to Alpha Malcolm tomorrow." 

"Okay," I said and bowed after him, before exiting the room.

<><><> 

As soon as I entered my room, my heart sank in my chest. It was like the reality of the situation hit me in the face like a ton of bricks, now that I finally got time alone to think about it. I bit my lip and looked up at the ceiling, refusing to let any tear that pooled in my eyes fall down. 

Many-a-times I had considered the possibility of my mate rejecting me in the past. Everytime the thought terrified me. Everytime I had prayed for it to never happen. Yet, everytime I promised myself that I won't let the rejection break me. I promised myself that if I were ever to bear this sort of a pain, I'd do it gracefully. I'd channel the pain into anger, I won't let it channel into sadness.