Chapter 25. The Heart of A Queen

A.N: This chapter has been revised! 

Something was wrong.. he knew it.

No one's heartbeat was this erratic.

Cathy had fallen asleep in the car as he drove them home. He'd carried her to the dorm and to his room as she slept peacefully in his arms. He'd felt a little guilty for wearing her out to the point of exhaustion, they had done a lot in a short amount of time, but at least she had enjoyed it. She didn't have any night clothes to change into, so he'd laid her on their brand-new Queen-size bed that had arrived while they were gone, in her jeans and t-shirt. He'd taken off her shoes and his own shoes and laid down fully dressed also. He'd pulled the covers over them, held her close and fell asleep with a smile on his face.

He wasn't smiling anymore...

Brent listened closely. There it was again, the strange beat of her heart. It would beat normally, then slow down until it stopped for just a few second and then speeded back up as if trying to catch up with the beats it skipped and it kept doing this over and over until it finally clicked in his brain the reason why she was so fragile, the reason why she fainted, the reason why she easily got sick.

"What the fuck is wrong with your heart?!!"

Cathy opened her eyes and stared at Brent in confusion. He'd scared her half to death yelling at her like that. She'd been so comfortable, so relax with him snuggled up to her, his head lying on her chest, her chin resting on the top of his head, his arms wrapped around her possessively, her hands stroking through his soft curls.

His head lying on her chest.... oh...OH NO!

Brent wouldn't let her pull away from him. He held her staring at her in apprehension and caution.

"I..." she hesitated. She hadn't wanted him to find out this way.

"What's wrong with you? Talk to me..." Brent demanded. He sat up and pulled her into his lap.

"I didn't want you to know," Cathy whined, tears forming in her eyes.

Brent stared at her in fear. "Cathy, tell me what the fuck is wrong with you, NOW!"

He yelled the last word causing her to jump.

"I have a weak heart.... I forgot to take my medicine yesterday and I guess it's acting up."

"You have a weak..." Brent stopped and stared at her. He sat her down on the bed and began to pace the room. "What does that mean? That it could stop someday, and you'll die?"

"You don't have to be so blatant about it. What happened to the sensitive man from yesterday?"

"Don't...Cathy..." Brent warned.

She sighed. "As long as I take my medicine regularly, I'm ok... at least most of the time..."

He stared at her in horror and shock. "And you were never going to tell me this?!"

Cathy swallowed and tried to play it cool by raising her head in the air and crossing her arms. "I didn't think I had to..." she said defensively.

Brent punched a hole in the wall.

Cathy jumped and screamed. "Oh my God!"

"Say that again?" Brent asked daring her...

"Brent..." Cathy said hesitantly. She knew she should be afraid, but she trusted him too much, she knew he would never take his anger out on her; still, he could be quite intimidating. The fact that he'd just punched a gaping hole in his wall showed her just how angry he truly was. He was furious and from the look in his eyes, hurt, deeply hurt. "I'm...sorry..." she told him her shoulders drooping, she knew better than to fight against him right now, after all, she was the one who was wrong.