𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Start from the beginning

A smile crept on Maeve's face at Phoenix's words. " That's not what it's about. Now come on, it'll be just like old times. " Maeve's tried to sound enthusiastic with her tone, making Phoenix chuckle while Canary playfully rolled her eyes. " I can come, right? " Finnick asked as Phoenix stood to her feet. Phoenix nodded her head but saw Maeve and Canary look at each other.

Canary looked back at Finnick and nodded her head. " Yeah. " She paused a beat before opening her mouth again. "Let's have Maeve get her settled and then you and I can go too. Okay? " She asked, noting wanting the knives to bring back any harmful memories for Phoenix. The last thing any of them needed was her attacking Finnick with the knives.

And apart of Finnick knew that, causing him to nod his head. " Yeah, of course. I'll go check on Annie real fast. " He angled his body to be facing Phoenix again, who was nodding at his words. " Great. " Maeve clapped her hands together, feeling optimistic about this. " Ready, Phoenix? " Maeve questioned, with Phoenix looking from Finnick to her.

A sigh left Phoenix's mouth as she tried to both soothe and hide her nerves. " Yeah. " Was the only reply she could think of, having no witty come back at a moment like this. She felt Finnick's hand wrap around her waist before feeling his lips pressed against the top of her head. Once the feeling of his lips went away Phoenix looked up at him, sending him a soft smile before walking towards Maeve.

The walk to the training room was quiet, with Phoenix following Maeve around every corner until the two reached the room. " Here it is. " Maeve said as she opened the door, revealing the new room to Phoenix. As the door shut behind her Phoenix looked around, wanting to take it all in.

The room was big, not what Phoenix was used to when it came to a training room. Having grown used to the one she had seen while in the games. Yet Phoenix could tell this one was used for more target practice than anything else. With her eyes immediately being drawn to the row of targets that were lined up.

But it was the way the light bounced off the blade of the knife that drew Phoenix's attention away from the targets. She could see them in the distance, lying in a row on one of the many tables that took up the back end of the large room. Phoenix took a deep breath before walking closer to them, watching them get closer and closer to her.

She was now in front of the plethora of knives, the blades shining brightly. Looking up from the knives Phoenix saw Maeve standing on the other side of the table. Maeve nodded her head at her, wanting her to know everything was okay. Phoenix's eyes stayed on Maeve for a moment, with them trailing down to what she was wearing. The question still lingered in Phoenix's mind, with her wondering what was different.

It wasn't until her eyes shifted from what she was wearing to what Maeve was wearing. The two were very similar and would probably look identical to any unsuspecting person. Yet Phoenix could tell the differences and that was when it dawned on Phoenix.

Both Maeve and Canary's outfits were stabproof.

The specific fabric that was made to slow the rate something sharp would pierce through the fabric. It wouldn't prevent you from getting stabbed but it would make the injury far less worst. Phoenix was able to tell since many people in the Capitol would wear the thicker fabric when she was around, even if she didn't have a knife at her leisure. But now she did and here Maeve was, wearing it as an assortment of knives were spread out in front of them.

Phoenix's gaze moved to the knives, feeling as though the fabric was mocking her in a way. She didn't know exactly how to feel about it, yet she knew it felt a bit like a slap in the face. Especially since it was Maeve and Canary who were praising her improvement, yet here they were, afraid she might kill them at her first chance.