leaving

Version 2.0

By the time Hiccup was finally ready, the moon had already covered half of its nightly route, shining brightly in the dark sky.

 He sighed noticing how time had seemed to run out, his window for a quick unnoticed departure felt like it was closing too abruptly, of course, his desperate need to leave probably had an effect on that feeling...

 But for a trip like such, he needs to be prepared, he needed to make sure he had a base of necessities to survive until he could manage on his own. All his things might slow him down a bit but if every thing went according to plan, he wouldn't have to worry about pass as everyone was still asleep, but leaving as early as possible wouldn't hurt... Plus it's not like he could leave without all that he had brought, a bucket full of fish for him and Toothless, a bag full of metal scrap in case he needed to make adjustments to Toothless's saddle, extra clothing, a blanket and finally his notebook along with three blank ones. Only the essentials.

 He still couldn't believe what he was about to do, but what other choice did the berkians leave him?  He couldn't possibly explain everything, to the villagers or his dad. 

Well if he even had time to listen to his black sheep son...

"I wonder when he'll notice... or if he's going to notice..." he thought 

Hiccup quietly walked down the stairs and made his way to the back door with as little noise as possible, all his years of creeping around avoiding his bullies finally cashing in.  Has he closed the door behind him, he took a deep breath and walked into the endless forest spreading through the Berk Island, ready to leave it all behind.

...

The full moon that night created just the right light for his escape, he could easily walk around not bumping into any trees, but he would not be seen leaving the Island. So without much trouble, he managed to make it in record time to the clearing in the rock that leads to a secret grove. Where he, as he went in, spotted a huge curled up mass as black as night;

"Hey bud, we're going on a vacation you and I" hiccup whispered 

A sleepy growl was heard as the dark "mass" turned to face the chief's son.

"OOOOooooh, come on toothless, we'll go on adventures just you and me!"He continued trying to convince the black dragon. The reptile rolled its eyes and huffed in annoyance but loyal to its friend, it slowly got up. 

Saddling the beast didn't take long with the practice he had, even attaching the luggage was pretty quick. Therefore, it didn't take long before he was comfortably sitting on the back of who he liked to think as his only true friend...

With one last shaking breath, a last look around at what used to be his home, they took off.

"This is it Toothless" he screamed, "no going back now..."