Prompt 41 || Word Prompt

Start from the beginning

"If I say yes, will you try to get us out?"

I took that as a yes. But, feeling petty, I said, "Figure it out yourself."

He shot me an exasperated look. "Are you really still bitter about last week?"

"Maybe." But at his shaky breath, I felt guilty. "Why don't we pry open the doors?"

"We're caught between floors, Kate."

I crossed my arms. "You like shooting me down, don't you?"

Eli huffed. He was trying to seem annoyed, trying not to panic, but he was failing. He raked a hand through his hair, breath quickening.

I hated that I felt bad for him. I hated even more that I found him adorable.

"How are you calm?" he panted after a beat. "I can barely breathe."

I didn't know how to answer, because now my heart was racing. He shouldn't be able to steal my client and look cute while doing it. He shouldn't be allowed to panic and be this irresistible. He shouldn't be so infuriating and intoxicating all at once.

I did the only thing that felt deserving of this bizarre moment and kissed him.

When I pulled back, I was winded.

My lips tipped in a smile.

"Now we're both out of breath."

#2: His New Baby by JesslinaN

I had been dating Christian for four years when he broke up with me one day. To be honest, I hadn't seen this one coming. Perhaps he hadn't, either. Other couples have issues and fight a lot before they break up. We never did that.

We broke up because he couldn't keep his pants zipped up and had managed to get his co-worker pregnant. When he had found out, he wanted to do the right thing and marry her. How pathetic! But on the other hand, boys will be boys, which did not mean that I would ever forgive Francesca because what she had done clearly went against girl code.

So, guess what happened next? About seven months after my relationship with Christian ended, I was taking the elevator one morning to get to my office when it got stuck between two floors. Unfortunately, there was one other person in the elevator, and it was Francesca, who was by now married to Christian and so heavily pregnant that she looked as if she was ready to burst out of her clothes. We worked in the same office building, which is why Christian and I had often fantasised about the elevator getting stuck and what possibilities that would give us.

Let's just say that it was not such a great erotic experience when it happened in reality.

"What do we do now?" Francesca asked, obviously frightened out of her wits and rightly so.

"Well, we wait until they get us. The good thing is that they will notice what has happened at once at this hour," I pointed out, trying to calm her down.

"But I can't be stuck in here long. I have an appointment at the hospital."

"Well, I guess you don't have a choice," I said sarcastically,

"But I'm going to be induced today. Christian needs to go on a business trip in 2 days and wants to see his baby out before that."

Wow! If he had told me that our baby needed to be out of my uterus before he went on a trip, I would have asked him if he was out of his mind. But then again, we weren't together anymore.

"Well, we are stuck in here."

#3: by ambercallista

"Hold the door, please!" Wedging my briefcase between the elevator doors, I find there's no one there.

"Tia! Wait, please!" Tears threaten to fall as the elevator closes leaving my boyfriend heartbroken on the other side.

I've been a divorce lawyer for ten years. For the last several months, I've been dating this great guy, Henry. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until he decided to surprise me in my office a few minutes ago and ask me to marry him. Fully aware of my stance on the matter, at least I thought.

Abruptly the elevator stops. The lights flash and my mind goes into instant panic mode.

"Breathe, Tia." Trying to coax these swelling doubts seem hopeless. How could he do this to me? This is not how I expected my morning to go!

We've only been together a short time. The divorce rate for a couple on our timeframe is extremely high and alarming to me.

My stomach feels queasy. Crap! Why did I have to get stuck in this elevator after bearing witness to one of the most awkward scenes I've ever been cast in.

The walls feel like they're closing in on me. I can't do this! I can't go against every fiber in my being that's saying this is wrong! But my heart thumps declaring that I love him.

You see it every day, Tia. You see those couples losing out on love. If they had only done one thing differently, take the time to listen to their partner. Things could be different. I've learned not to leave my decisions to chance.

Henry and I haven't exactly talked about marriage, but you'd think hearing me bad mouth it constantly, he could have taken the clue. I don't believe in it.

I suppose my parents neglected marriage plays a role in my feelings, but how do you shake something you've grown to be so against?

Maybe you have what it takes to beat the growing percentages of failed marriages. Maybe a leap of faith is all it takes to overcome the war inside of you.

I can't seem to get my head and my heart to ever agree.

I'm my own worst enemy...

Congratulations and thank you to every single one of you who participated!