CHAPTER XXIV: Azkaban

Start from the beginning

The three of you planned to leave altogether when Dumbledore asked you to stay behind, as he had something to talk to you about. You weren't sure what it was. You had never been to the headmaster's  office before.

You sat down in his office with him, staring down at his desk, which had an assortment of different trinkets on it. There was his wand and a cloak, and the ring you had returned to him, strangely gathered together.

"Y/N. Thank you for your dedication to The Ministry. It has saved a lot of people, especially us, here at Hogwarts," Dumbledore congratulated you.

"Hogwarts is under your protection. How did I save anyone here?"

Did he mean you saved people in general because Riddle was no longer alive?

"Let me show you something," Dumbledore said, walking towards an ornately decorated gold and glass fixture on the wall. He opened it up. It was a pensieve.

He took an orb from the hidden shelf behind it and held it up towards you. "A prophecy foretold by Sybill Trelawney. Take a look." He used his wand to reach into the orb and then dropped the prophecy into the water.

You took a step into the pensieve and looked into it.

You'd seen this prophecy before, in The Minister of Magic's office. It was the one that Loki had broken by accident. But this time, the prophecy was more detailed and played out as a memory. It told the story of a boy named Harry Potter whose destiny it was to vanquish the dark lord, Voldemort.

You pushed your head out of the pensieve and stared up at Dumbledore, shocked and confused. "What was that? I don't think I completely understand."

"It's a different future. A future that was prevented because of you. Due to your actions these past few months, you prevented the Second Wizarding War and all the events leading up to it."

"What? How could I have done that?"

"You tell me, Y/N. Whatever decisions you made, it saved more people than we may ever know. Students at Hogwarts, aurors, muggles, myself even."

"You?"

Dumbledore nodded and you and him both returned to your seats at his desk.

"It wasn't just me, professor. All of the decisions I made were because of someone else. Otherwise, if it weren't for him, I would have never gotten myself involved in all of this."

"Who was this? Was this the first wizard the aurors apprehended? The monarch?"

"Yes. Loki Laufeyson. He claimed to have gone to Hogwarts, you weren't his professor?"

"I had never heard of him before he became the head of The Monarchy."

"I wonder where he went to school then..."

Dumbledore just smiled at you.

All of a sudden, a large, red bird flew into his office and landed on a perch in front of him.

"Professor? Is that the phoenix that saved me at the Shrieking Shack?!"

Dumbledore nodded.