CHAPTER XXIV: Azkaban

It had been a month since he was sent to Azkaban by the aurors. You still couldn't wholly swallow the fact that you had betrayed him, and made the decision to do so right after he stayed with you for the first time, throughout the entire night and morning. He even said he loved you.

What you had done to him felt so insidious after he had at last opened up to you the night before and reciprocated your feelings.

You had crushed your own heart and mind. You didn't even believe that Loki belonged in Azkaban. After everything you had been through with him, you could never see him as a villain. No matter how much the aurors wanted you to see him as one. To you, he was a victim.

After that night, you no longer even saw him as your enemy. He was purely just misguided and you had failed to help him see that in time. It had grown too late and The Monarchy had to be stopped before they could enact any world-changing decrees.

Within a month, The Ministry was able to renovate and reestablish itself in The Wizarding World. After you revealed to them The Monarchy's plans, Scrimgeour and the aurors were able to arrest many of their highest-ranking officials. Although they had no way to prove that Loki and his closest followers were death eaters, they were able to seize evidence of bribery and intended treason to convict them.

When the Daily Prophet released this bombshell, The Monarchy was seen for what it really was, a corrupt and authoritarian governing body. Massive amounts of people quit their jobs there and transferred back to their old jobs at The Ministry. And then The Ministry was finally able to return to normal, and this time for the better.

You tried your best to move on without Loki. Just like you promised yourself that you would after he was gone. You returned to your old office, where the black roses he gave you were still sitting on the windowsill. They were crumpled and most of the petals had fallen off and onto the floor. You couldn't even be bothered to pick it up and throw it out.

Scrimgeour and Josiah welcomed you back into The Ministry with open arms. You weren't surprised. Your old job at the Department of Mysteries was the only thing you asked for in exchange for everything you had done for them. They even forgave you for all of the lies you told them in the past to protect Loki.

You did it. Just like Loki did everything he said he would and rose to the top of The Wizarding World, you did what you told yourself you would. You were able to return to your normal life. It didn't feel like an accomplishment though. But it didn't feel like a mistake either.

You tried your best not to think about him anymore. You immersed yourself in your job and helped Scrimgeour and Josiah get The Ministry back together in any way that you could. Josiah had been so kind and patient with you. He could tell you were having an inner dilemma with yourself after everything. You had a feeling that he liked you, but you and him both knew that you couldn't reciprocate anything after everything with Loki.

There were two things that you couldn't take your mind off of though. Jane and Thor had completely disappeared. Jane was nowhere to be found and when you questioned Scrimgeour about it, he didn't know anything either. It was so strange, it's almost as if she had ceased to exist. Above all, Morpheus Malfoy was still out there and Scrimgeour was fixed on finding him, so this whole death eater thing could be over once and for all.

When you had gathered up the courage to do it, you headed over to Hogwarts with Scrimgeour and Josiah to return the destroyed relics that you had managed to retrieve. Dumbledore was extremely appreciative and he promised to work on restoring Ravenclaw's Diadem and the Hufflepuff Cup to the best of his ability. Scrimgeour also returned the locket you had first taken from Loki (which turned out to be the Slytherin relic) and Marvolo Gaunt's ring, which you had to pry off of Loki's petrified body.