CHAPTER XV: The Aurors

You woke up the next morning in your flat and he wasn't there beside you. Of course. You weren't expecting for him to be. Nonetheless, it still hurt a little.

You looked around. No note. But, there were two bloody, basilisk fangs laying on your bedside table. Ick. You'd have to clean that up later.

There was no doubt in your mind that you were attached to him more than ever. You knew that last night would deepen your feelings. It was only inevitable as you spent more time with him. The question now was how long it would take for you to get over him once this was all over. Would you really be able to? You had to believe you could, otherwise you couldn't do this anymore. You had a more dire mission left to complete.

You got ready for work just like you did every single weekday. You even took the loo entrance into The Ministry because you didn't want to be too alone with your thoughts today. That was a first. He had changed you.

Rufus Scrimgeour asked you into his office immediately. You couldn't be sure if you were being watched. There was no telling what type of abilities the death eaters had now, with them and Riddle getting deeper and deeper into the dark arts. But you had to tell Scrimgeour everything. So you acted normal while he reviewed The Ministry's new goals, but made sure to slip a piece of paper to him asking him to meet you at the auror's hideout before you left.

Later that day, once you arrived to the secret location, 12 Grimmauld Place, you told the small group of lead aurors there everything. Almost everything. Except anything about Loki and how you got the horcrux for Riddle. They couldn't know you indirectly caused Mr. Jugson's death, it would make them lose their trust in you. So you only told Scrimgeour about the prophecies, described some of the faces of the death eaters you saw, and how you went to Hogwarts to get a basilisk fang behind their backs. You didn't feel like lying to them again, but it had to be done. Also, you weren't sure if you could trust all of the aurors anyway, what if one of them was a double-agent like you, but was on Riddle's side instead? Your trust issues had heightened ever since you met Loki. The only death eater you mentioned recognizing was the head, Morpheus Malfoy, who they were not surprised to hear of.

You felt like you could trust Scrimgeour. More than anything in this world, he hated Riddle.

Obviously, the aurors disapproved of you going behind their backs to join Riddle. It was reckless. Especially the bit about stealing from the department of mysteries. They shamed you a little for it until they finally decided that you should continue going undercover, unless people's lives were being threatened. Get as close to the death eaters as you can without getting Riddle suspicious. You agreed to Scrimgeour's plans.

You had to admit to yourself, your motives for this were getting fuzzier. You were still protecting Loki. You still wanted to take down Riddle though. But it almost seemed like your feelings for Loki were about to outweigh the importance of taking Riddle down. You couldn't let that happen.

Yet, you contradicted your own thoughts and chose to hold back info about him. For now, he just appeared to be your emo boyfriend that was forced to work at The Monarchy and enjoyed wearing entirely black suits, all of the time. Perfectly normal and not suspicious whatsoever.

You got to know some of the other aurors better. Sirius Black, Alastor Moody, the Longbottoms, Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt... A few older than you, some younger, and some still in training. Not all of them were there today, but most of them seemed to be reputable so far.

There was one auror that stood out to you in particular. He was an American. He was a descendant of Josiah Jackson, one of the original American aurors that went to Ilvermorny. Josiah Jr. was around the same age as you, and had just joined the aurors. He was tall with dark, copper skin, thick eyebrows, and golden eyes. He wasn't too bad to look at. Personality wise, you had a lot in common with him. You had a feeling you would be good partners if you ever needed to work together.