CHAPTER VI: Death Eater

The Daily Prophet revealed that Tom Riddle and his cult of death eaters had taken control over The Monarchy. They were holding employees captive and forcing them to work under their jurisdiction. They had completely infiltrated the organization and several death eaters were apparently among them the whole time. The Daily Prophet claimed that The Monarchy had been a front for the death eaters to control the Wizarding World from behind the scenes, at the moment of its rise to power. Their obvious next target - the Ministry. They wanted full control over the Wizarding World.

It would be almost impossible to defeat Tom Riddle now. His power and his beliefs were no longer a secret. It would no longer be taboo to be on his side. People would be even more enticed to join him without being ashamed of their prejudice against muggle-borns and half-bloods.

Loki was silent and seemed relatively unaffected. He was reading the newspaper article in The Daily Prophet while Jane and Thor discussed the images they were showing on the television.

"What are you going to do, Loki? Are you going to quit?" Jane asked him. Everyone's eyes turned towards him except yours. You had a bad feeling about this. You had already suspected something was off about him, but you never wanted those suspicions to be confirmed. The less you knew the better. But did Jane and Thor really not suspect him of anything? How could they be so blind? Why didn't they ask him who's side he was on?

"No. I can't quit. Someone has to stand up to those people," Loki said, nonchalantly, turning a newspaper page.

"You and who else, brother? We don't know how many people are on Tom Riddle's side. You could get killed," said Thor, worried.

"Don't worry about me. I have gained the favor of a lot of people there. I'm in a high position. They can't force me to do or say anything I don't want to," said Loki.

"So you're really going to continue to go to work? That's insane," Jane told him.

He shrugged. "There's not much of a chance that the death eaters will hold power for that long. There's a lot of people who are willing to fight back. People who are stronger than them,"  Loki reassured everyone. He nodded and smiled at you.

"I'm going home," you told everyone. You didn't want to hear anything else from Loki. There was no way this would end well for you two. He was going to get you involved in matters you didn't care for at all. Your life had always been centered around avoiding trouble and you preferred to keep it that way. But could you really stay away from Loki? What would be the final straw that would keep you away from him forever?

Loki looked at you worried but didn't say anything.

Jane said her goodbyes to Thor. You were going to say bye to Loki, but he disappeared.

On the way back home, you and Jane discussed what you should do at work. You had no choice but to return. If The Ministry failed now, Tom Riddle and the death eaters would win. The stakes were high.

The next day at work, Mr. Jugson gathered everyone together. He was careful with his words. For once. He said that we couldn't be sure about who we could or couldn't trust. We should stick to our roles in The Ministry and report anything that seemed suspicious. The Ministry needed to prevail.

As Mr. Jugson's assistant, you were contacting media outlets daily to find out what was going on and how to ensure the general public's safety. The aurors were beginning to recruit more and more people to fight back. They were planning something, and only a few people were entitled to those plans. One of them was you. So inevitably, you joined them.

A couple weeks passed by and you heard nothing from Loki. Absolutely nothing. Thor told Jane who told you that he had been busy as well. And gone often. They didn't know what he was doing, but they continued to put their trust in him. You couldn't.