CHAPTER XVII: Real Enemies

tw: brief mentions of death, torture

"UGH!" You bashed your head on the wooden table. You swore there was now a new crack on it.

"Uh... Y/N? Are you okay?" You looked up to see Josiah, staring down at you in concern.

"Oh. I'm sorry. I thought I was the only one here," you told him. You were currently staying in Grimmauld Place, as your flat was no longer safe and it was likely that the death eaters wanted to kill you now after your little stunt. You also hadn't been to work in a week. You didn't contact Jane about it either. You didn't know what to say to her. The aurors were keeping their tabs on you. Most importantly, you had heard nothing from Loki. Naturally.

Josiah must've entered in without you noticing.

"I'll go back to my room," you told him.

"Wait, Y/N. We need to talk. I know you told everyone already, but I wanted to hear it from you directly. What happened back there?" Josiah asked you, referring to the incident at Diagon Alley.

You were careful with your words. "I was assigned to get Helga Hufflepuff's cup with another death eater. We found out Hepzibah Smith had it, so the death eater petrified her and took the cup. I decided I couldn't let someone die like that if I had a chance in preventing it, so I attempted to take both back to a safer, more public place. The death eaters showed up fast. Too fast. I had to trade the cup for her life," you explained.

"You didn't get a look at who you were working with? How did you convince her to let you into her house?" He asked. He was definitely suspicious.

"I didn't. We kept our masks on the whole time and forced her to show it to us." Thank goodness you remembered to obliviate Hepzibah before bringing her to the aurors. Otherwise, she would've been able to identify Loki's face.

"Oh. I see," he responded.

"Do you not agree with my decision? Because I can't mentally deal with that right now. It's been a rough week," you told him.

He sat down next to you and put his hand on your shoulder to comfort you. It would've felt better if it were someone else doing it.

"Some of the aurors have strongly disagreed with your decision because now the death eaters will have to just kill someone else and Riddle will have another horcrux on his hands. But I agree with you, Y/N. You couldn't have let her get killed like that, especially right in front of you. You had to make a choice, and fast," he replied.

"Thank you. That makes me feel reassured," you said nodding at him. He was looking into your eyes  deeply. What was this? Genuine care? An emotion you rarely ever saw and only in flashes of in you know who.

You and Josiah talked for a bit more until he left you alone to go to your room.

You knew one other place that Riddle was planning on looking for a relic at. He was looking for Marvolo Gaunt's ring, supposedly owned by Riddle's family. They were muggles and were put under heavy surveillance by The Ministry the minute Riddle's uprising began. It was one of the only times The Ministry had acted fast enough for it to be useful. They didn't know whose side Riddle's family were on, so they had been keeping close watch.

It was likely that the death eaters would strike at any moment to retrieve the ring.

When they did, you and the aurors would be ready. There would probably be lives lost, but you had to prevent Riddle from making another horcrux. He was so particular about his relics.

The time for this eventually came. A lookout noticed that the death eaters had been scouring around Riddle's family home more and more often.

All of the aurors gathered this time. It would be war. They had a few more new recruits as well.